I don't understand...

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Xela, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

...how the driver can not be charged! What a sad picture and story.

Tragedy in Texas at Urban Velo

Similarly, we had a 10 yr old girl hit and killed IN A CROSSWALK here last weekend and the driver was only cited with careless driving!

Any attorneys or law enforcement officers out there care to explain why this is not at least involuntary manslaughter?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  2. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

No doubt that just sucks that it even happened. Not sure how you "loose control" and just veer into a bike and kill two people. SOMETHING was going on. Cell phone, eating, ......

3. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Same here Guy was passing lost control took out a fellow on a bike , a pole and some trees. He was charged with a seatbelt vilation that is how the news paper had it reported. It happened on the road I ride on , and I ride pass there almost every day. Sad verry sad.

4. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

I'm done apologizing, or being nice about it -- I WANT SOME HEADS! THIS IS CRIMINAL, HOW PEOPLE CAN BE ALLOWED TO BE SO CARELESS AND STUPID BEHIND THE WHEEL OF THREE THOUSAND POUNDS OF GAS-POWERED GUIDED MISSILE!

DAMN civil rights complainers -- we need to put some STANDARDS in place that people have to meet before they can get a license, and not some insipid little 20-Q test and a cruise around the parking lot! MAKE PEOPLE LEARN, and make penalties hurt when they screw up!

CONGRESS, ARE YOU HEARING ME?!? (of course not........)

5. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

Not in California,
    If you pass a person with their foot in the street you get a ticket, kill a cyclist go to jail.

No BS in Ca. No Question

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  6. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Because Rick Perry is a joke. He spends the mandatory time in Texas then books of to whatever vacation he has scheduled next. I hate you Rick Perry. Just in case your cruising around forums seeing if anybody mentions your name.

7. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Terrible. Must be the County. There was a Father who accidentally left his child in the car instead of dropping her off for daycare. Pretty insane accident but from all I've read and watched interviews on the news it was. They are charging him with manslaughter.

8. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

When I worked for an insurance company, we had a "Call to action". Maybe that's something we need on this site. Post the facts, and an address/email/phone number of the elected official that has let his constituents down. I think Rick Perry needs to get some mail about this.

9. Xela

Great idea! It doesn't do anyone any good for us just to rant among ourselves.

10. Industry_Hack

Run this by Dean, when he wakes up and finishes his Wheaties.

11. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I don't know getting all riled up is kind of fun, but I agree. I'll see if I can't find some info on his Governess and post it. He's rarely in state so it will be hard to catch up with him.

12. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Governer Rick Perry

Mailing Address

Office of the Governor
    P.O. Box 12428
    Austin, Texas 78711-2428

13. vitapimp

vitapimp New Member

14. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I've written Rick Perry numerous times and each time I get a standard form letter.

Instead Texas cyclists need to support Hutchison in the upcoming Primary.

15. snowbird

snowbird New Member

In Texas it's perfectly acceptable to drive on the berm to allow overtaking traffic to pass. They pave wide berms for that practice. I could understand a court's reluctance to make a ruling that would inhibit that way of passing.
    Texas has been described as miles and miles of miles and miles. They have a 70 mph speed limit for secondary roads. They're built for high speed vehicle traffic.
    A law that would require a 3' space when passing a bicycle wouldn't have saved this person. But it would impeed traffic flow.
    Punishing a driver with punishment intended for criminal behavior would be overkill.

I like Texas but it's not a bicycle friendly state. It would be very difficult to make it so. I'm sure there are certain areas and roads that are ideal for biking but statewide it's not.

16. Industry_Hack

What do they do for a negligent operator?

“investigators say there are no charges on the driver. They believe this was an accident and that somehow the driver lost control of his truck.”

Let's not downplay this. How do you "somehow lose control" of your vehicle? If there was some mechanical reason for the loss of control, was it due to lack of maintenance, or latent defect? Or was it operator error on the part of the driver? If this was a motor vehicle vs motor vehicle accident, the insurance companies would be asking these questions,and demanding answers. But since the driver only killed a couple on their bicycle, it's no big deal.

17. Xela

Maybe generally, but in this specific instance, this was criminal behavior. Two people were killed because of the negligence of a person who had taken the responsibility upon him/herself to operate a motor vehicle. It seems anymore that people are less concerned with the safe operation of a motor vehicle than they are with talking on a cell phone, texting, putting on make-up, singing, etc.

Come on. If I'm carrying a loaded gun and it accidentally goes off, do you think I won't be charged?

In my mind, if you kill two people by an action that could have easily been avoided, you are a criminal!

18. Xela

I guess me and Industry_Hack were writing our responses at the same time.

19. Industry_Hack

There was no criminal intent that we know of. Without a reason for the loss of control of the vehicle, I'd still push for negligent homicide. Two people died as a result of someone's carelessness, at the very minimum.

20. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

If you are the driver then you are responsible