Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Why I agonized over this purchase is beyond me. I am completely happy with this bike. A Synapse 4. I have had this bike for 6 weeks now. Long enough to get to know one another. This is my first carbon bike so I did not know what to expect. I was a little disappointed at first. Months of reading about people on "magic carpet rides" and "not feeling anything" was not my experience. Its a bike. You feel bumps. And, I had them weigh the bike before I left the shop. 19 pounds. Slight disappointment again. Now after riding this bike for a few weeks I completely love it. The smoothness really shines when you get north of 15 mph. Something I didn't do during test rides. At that time it wasn't my property and I was really careful. I'm sure I can shave some weight in the future in replacing the wheels, crank, pedals. Aksium wheels, FSA crank, and Look pedals that are 20 years old. Any other weigh savings tips?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sweet ride!!!!!

Same with the carbon,my first one is a 2003 Trek 5200 I rode yesterday for the first time, today too............still feel bumps and stuff. That said, as I ride it, it seems like it wants me to go faster...............I guess that is a good thing

·
GiddyUp
337 Posts
Congrats Goose5. That is a nice bike. As for weight, you will make your biggest weight savings with wheels. I shaved almost a whole pound off my bike when I upgraded. Are you running Shimano or SRAM (kinda looks like Rival shifters)?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sram Rival. I really like Sram. I wanted Campagnolo because the brake lever was fixed, and it takes two distinct motions to shift up and down. Sram fills that bill. A bit twitchy on the up shift. About half the time it upshifts two gears instead of just one. Operator error probably.

·
GiddyUp
337 Posts
You'll get used to it. Never ridden Campy but I'd like too, I'm afraid I'd like it too much. What other bikes got over-ruled for the Cannondale?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Very nice ride Grats.... Wheel & tire upgrades would shave some weight fast and easy...
I shaved just over a 1/2lbs total in just changing my tires from Conti Ultra Sports (wire bead) to Michelin Pro 3's...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You'll get used to it. Never ridden Campy but I'd like too, I'm afraid I'd like it too much. What other bikes got over-ruled for the Cannondale?
I started out with the Look 566. Every shop I walked into was in the process of closing them out. Closest shop for support was at least 200 miles away. The Cervelo RS was also of interest. Again the closest shop was closing out Cervelo. They had one 2010 but the paint scheme was just ugly. Again would have to go all the way to Denver for support. I might have gone for a 2011. Much better looking bike, but for some reason there was a major interuption of supply. I talked to 3 Denver area Cervelo dealers and all did not have any in stock. The Cervelo forum some members were complaining about a 3 to 4 month wait. As it turns out Colorado Cyclist picked up Cervelo, but again no RS's in stock. Cervelo and Look limited warrenty. Cannondale lifetime warrenty, and the shop I bought from is only 30 miles away. So, everytime I flipped the coin the Cannondale side kept coming up. Plus, I rode a 3.0 Criterium for 20 years. So, I guess its official. I'm a CDale guy.

·
GiddyUp
337 Posts
The Cannondale is a nice ride and it's always nice to have the shop you bought it from close by. I don't worry too much about the warranty, other than is the company a reputable manufacturer. Even with the Cannondale lifetim warranty vs. the Look 5 year warranty, if something breaks it's only going to be covered if it's a manufacture defect. I considered that with my Look, but reasoned that if by 5 years no defects present themselves, there probably isn't one.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
You will enjoy it I am sure, but there is one thing I found over the years. I rode as a kids like almost everyone here. Bikes back then had their own quirks and personalities. Even ones of the same make and models seem to be just a bit different. The old ten speeds with friction shift were that way. You had to be smooth to get them to shift right and even then it took a bit of finesse.

Like lots of folks I spent many many years away from a bike. (In my case Id guess about 25 years.) When got back on a bike, somethings felt the same. The riding was natural. The crazy nuts were still there, but the technology on the bikes was so much better and so far advanced it really was surprising. I ended up learning I had to relearn how to maintain a bike all over again. They shifted better and far more consistently. Yet each bike had its own little personality even now. Some things do things better than others. Some need this adjustment, others that one. It was like dealing with people and different personalities. Maybe bikes haven't changed that much after all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts