I found in my box of tricks a dynamo,does anybody know the output voltage

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by craisin, Dec 27, 2009.

1. craisin

craisin New Member

So Im putting a 50cc china 2 stroke on one of my bike
    Im lead to believe running electrical accessories off the motors power system it will make the spark at the plug weaker
    So I was wondering if I could charge a battery with a dynamo?
    Im asuming it generates DC current so I can run a LED headlight.
    was hoping use a small battery to save weight:thumbsup:

2. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

Wrap the chuck of a drill with electrical tape. Attach electrical meter leads to the dynamo. Have someone operate the drill, while you push the dynamo up against the chuck to spin it. That way you can check the output voltage.

3. craisin

craisin New Member

good idea i will post later a mate is here

4. craisin

craisin New Member

well it would be good if i can arrange this dynamo to generate as to slow the bike on the downhill running.
    Thats the plan if its too hard to arrange maybe a little solar panel will be ok

5. djcyberlegend

djcyberlegend Group rookie

Some older dynamos actually put out AC instead of DC, the frequency - as well as the voltage - will depend on how fast it's spinning. I found that out many years ago when checking voltage on a dynamo that was on an old Schwinn Varsity that was given to me when I was 16 or 17, I was trying to design a battery backup system for the lights that were on it at the time and also get it to power a buzzer I got from Radio Shack that I was gonna use as a horn.

Anyway, the one I had back then listed the output voltage as 6V, but it was more like 12V with the high-frequency AC it was putting out.

6. craisin

craisin New Member

I was half pie expecting somebody to say that they put out AC

Thanks for that:thumbsup:I guess a small rectifier is cheap

but a solar panel might be easier to manage

7. djcyberlegend

djcyberlegend Group rookie

You should also add a 100 uF capacitor on the output of the rectifier to smooth the voltage out as well...