Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and I have no idea what to do with them or how they work? they are Diadoro, size 8 1/2. WPD-813 pedals.

help please :)
I really do not want to FALL trying to get into or out of the peddles. they were free and no idea if they are a good brand? or anything about them.
:confused:

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Do the shoes already have the cleats mounted? It's very important that they are properly aligned.

The Wellgo pedals are designed for mountain bikes. So back the truck up. Diadora shoes should be for road bikes - are they drilled for SPD compatible cleats? Basically, is there a little piece of metal, or a big piece of plastic on the bottom?

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes the shoes have the cleates mounted. so are you saying I have road bike shoes and moutain bike peddles? I just know the shoes fit really well but as I said I know NOTHING about how to use them or if they are anygood?

·
12,350 Posts
Ok, no worries. They're fine, at least from a compatibility standpoint. That allen screw on the pedal controls the tension of the jaws. You may want to loosen them up a bit, until you get used to clipping in and out.

To step in, that pointy bit at the front goes in first, then you step hard, like mashing a spider. To release, you rotate your foot outward, from the heel. If you try to pull up, or pull the ball of your foot out first, you will probably not be too happy. Ever stepped on a cigarette but to put it out? It's a swiveling motion like that, where you turn on the ball of your foot, while twisting your heel away from the bike. You may want to try it leaning against a fence or wall first. It becomes 2nd nature pretty quick.

Obligatory link to Jock's interview. (I promise it's a good read, if a bit scary)

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool thanks !! that is exaclty what I need to know. maybe tomrrow i'll put them on the bike and give it a try. i'm in Boston at the moment and will have to find a safe place where I won't get ran over to try them out. I have this awful fear of landing in an intersection and becoming a speed bump.
I've wanted to try them but no money for them and as I said these were given to me so I'm thinking the worst thing that can happen is i hate them and pass them on to someone else. but i'm thinking once i get use to them I will like them. my left foot has a hard time staying on the peddle and this would help with that it sucks when i'm just peddleing along and the foot has a mind of it's own and flys off which can be a bit painful at times to when the back of my calf is racked across the peddle. it's going to be a new experience that's for sure :)

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Let me suggest that you take the shoes to a bike shop first and let them set them up for you. The square metal piece under the cleats goes inside the shoe and not under the cleats. It's used to keep the retaining screws for the cleats from crushing the sole material at the slots, when the cleats are tightened. Also, the cleats appear to be angled way too much. Your LBS will be able to set them to a neutral position for you and then you can tweak the cleats as needed.

If you are unsure about unclipping, a good way to learn to remember to unclip is to use platform pedals and emulate the clipping and unclipping actions. After a while it will become second nature and when you do change to the clipless system, you will lessen your chances of forgetting to unclip. But you have to concentrate and make sure that you do it on every stop or it won't work. And even those of us that have been riding clipless for years will have an occasional "Oh, oh!" moment. It happened to me today when I unclipped to dismount and the cleat got hung up on the pedal when I tried to pull my foot out. It's all part of riding.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
As John_V said, the shoes aren't setup properly. The cleats definitely appear to be pointing off in a weird angle. They should be pointing pretty much straight. Your LBS should be able to help you out with that.

You probably will fall once or twice in the beginning... we all did. So don't let that discourage you. Twisting your heal out will become second nature before you know it.

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys !!!! I'll have them checked falling with my plastic knee is never fun but if its part of the rite of passage I guess ill just have to deal with it lol.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
If you have a knee replacement, you may want to start riding with a padded knee brace; the kind you can get at any pharmacy. This will help soften the impact on the knee when you fall because the knee is always involved. As Poolie mentioned, it's not if but when you fall. I'll tell my war stories about learning to ride clipless when you have a few hours.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
If you have a trainer I would suggest practicing on the trainer before hitting the road. You could also mount your new pedals on a standard stationary bike to practice.

Once you have become comfortable unclipping take your maiden voyage on a nice lawn. Baseball fields are good places to use.

You should develop a unclipping routine that you will use all the time. I like to unclip my right foot when stopping so I lean away from the road instead of into. This way if I fail to unclip I am heading for the shoulder instead of the traffic. I also unclip on the downward stroke again in case of failure I am at the bottom of the stroke and I can recover without panic.

Again find what works for you and repeat it all the time. Now this works for standard stops once this is mastered you need to practice panic stops. This should be done on roads with low traffic volume. Get your bike moving at your normal riding pace then jack on the brakes and get out of the pedals in the shortest distance possible. Repeat over and over again.

You will then be entitled to posting your most embarassing cycling moments for all to enjoy.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
I have fallen one time...in front of the 5 year old while we were riding. He does NOT let me forget that time I fell down.

Logan "Why did you fall daddy?" (no concern if i was alright)
ME "Because I had to stop and didnt get my food out of the pedal fast enough."
Logan "But why did you fall?"
ME "I lost too much speed and didnt get my foot out of the new pedals, if you dont move you will fall over."
Logan "Yeah, ok....but why didnt you get your foot out."
ME " Cause' daddy was dumb"
Logan " Yeah I didnt fall off my bike, but you did fall off your bike, I won."
ME "Yes son you won" :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
Industry_Hack said:
Before you do that, click the link in post #6. Let me know if you have a better story than Jock.
He has me beat, but I did walk ... Um limp ... away with my share of pain. :)

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
I have fallen one time...in front of the 5 year old while we were riding. He does NOT let me forget that time I fell down.

Logan "Why did you fall daddy?" (no concern if i was alright)
ME "Because I had to stop and didnt get my food out of the pedal fast enough."
Logan "But why did you fall?"
ME "I lost too much speed and didnt get my foot out of the new pedals, if you dont move you will fall over."
Logan "Yeah, ok....but why didnt you get your foot out."
ME " Cause' daddy was dumb"
Logan " Yeah I didnt fall off my bike, but you did fall off your bike, I won."
ME "Yes son you won" :rolleyes:

Again, this kid deserves an award. . . . .

·
12,350 Posts
He has me beat, but I did walk ... Um limp ... away with my share of pain. :)
I didn't know anything about his accident until after I moved back to the states. He's that humble that after all our rides where he slowed his pace for me, he never once mentioned he'd been run over by a truck.

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts