I got one!

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by cbman, Jul 30, 2010.

1. cbman

cbman gnar! gnar! gnar!

I finally found a Schwinn cruiser! It's a 1964 Typhoon, ss. I'll post pictures of the restore. HAHA you'll have to excuse my friend in the back of the photo.

Attached Files:

2. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Congrats! How old is that pic?

3. cbman

cbman gnar! gnar! gnar!

thanks man, the picture is about 4 days old hahaha I develop my own

4. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Look forward to move pictures, love the 60's Schwinn's.

You have your own DIY darkroom?

5. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

You need some contrast.

I miss my darkroom. Made my first prints 27 years ago. Our wedding photographer was young enough to have never shot film, and it shows.

6. cbman

cbman gnar! gnar! gnar!

yeah I'm still experimenting, only my 4th roll of true black and white. What would you suggest as far as shutter speed and aperture goes on a picture like that? I usually keep shutter speed on auto and set aperture around 5 f stop or so. Or is it me? Teach me, I must learn from the biking/developing masters hahaha. and it's not quite what the picture looks like either, I took a photo of the negative on the enlarger with a digital camera, put it on the computer and inverted it. There's quite a number of variables. But anyway, I opened the coaster hub yesterday and found the most worn out, tacky grease you'd ever seen. It was bad. Now it runs real smooth though. My plans were to make it into a tricked out Klunker bike. Are you guys into that style? I wouldn't want to change it too much though, I'd like to change the handle bars, put on a front drum, and if I could, change out the rear sprocket for something in the 20-24 range. Not sure if that last part is possible though, can I change the sprocket on a coaster hub? it didn't look like it last night.

7. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I should have been able to tell what with the new bike in the background.

I feel dumb, but then I am, so no worries.

8. cbman

cbman gnar! gnar! gnar!

hahaha yea, it's ok we forgive you.

9. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Funny how many photogs today never used a single roll of film. I don't use color hardly at all anymore, but I still love to play in the black and white darkroom

10. Industry_Hack

In the film box, there is an exposure guide. It's basically the sunny 16 rule, which is the film speed (ISO) at f16. So 100 speed film would be exposed 1/125 @ f16 in bright daylight. From that, you can change the shutter speed in either direction, and the aperture a stop in the corresponding opposite direction.

If you learn to shoot film, digital will come easy. The reason so many people shooting digital have such a crappy sense of composition is because they've never printed their own negs.

11. cbman

cbman gnar! gnar! gnar!

that helps a lot, So since I'm shooting 400 speed film the shutter should be at 1/500 with an f-stop of 4 in bright daylight?

12. Industry_Hack

Nope. It's your film speed at f16 to start. So you would shoot 1/500 @ f16. You're way overexposed. I liked fine grain, big apertures, and shallow depth of field. Agfa Pan 25 rated at 12 was my weapon of choice. That gave me somewhere around 1/250-1/500 at f4 in sunlight, from what I recall.

If you're shooting action, wildlife, or people, that higher speed might be ok, since you get a smaller aperture. But if you have a decently fast lens, you may find that some subjects stand out much better when shot at a larger aperture so the background goes out of focus.

What camera/lens are you using?

[edit] I started a photography thread here.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  13. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

For every F stop you change, you either double the amount of light in the camera or cut it in half. F 11 lets in twice as much light as F16. F22 lets in half as much light as F16. Ever notice the shutter speeds 1/30th of a sec 1/60th of a sec 1/125th of a sec 1/250th of a sec, 1/500th of sec. See the pattern. They are doubling the time and letting the film get exposed to twice as much light or half as much light. Same with film speeds 100 200 400 800. It takes half as much light to expose 200 speed film than it does 100 speed. Catch the pattern?? There are always trade offs though

14. cbman

cbman gnar! gnar! gnar!

15. cbman

cbman gnar! gnar! gnar!

some quick photos of the bike

Attached Files:

16. Doohickie

Doohickie Older than Hack

That's just beautiful.

17. Industry_Hack

I concur. Do not do anything that can't be reversed.

18. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I'd leave it the way it is.

19. cbman

cbman gnar! gnar! gnar!

you'll see... don't worry I'm not going to anything drastic.

20. retromike3

retromike3 retromike3

I would look at the wheels.

I would start by rebuilding the hubs and see how much grease is left in those baby's. Before you "replace" anything I would get what you have overhauled first. Take it one step at a time.

Mike