Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't wait to get home. The UPS guy is dropping off a toy I've been wanting for some time now.

Any ideas on what it is?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Just got home... here's a hint.

X-Mas is all down hill from here. Can't get much better than this :)

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
Ohhhhh, VERY NICE! Did ya get the whole deal, HR and cadence too? Guess you have been a good boy this year hu?

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Nice! Of course, I have to be contradictory, and point out that I'm a bit relieved to not get much from the UPS man lately. After getting 3-5 packages a week, I still have a ton of stuff left to review.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rola, Just got the base unit. Stopped by to see my mom the other day and she caught me off guard by handing me a card and saying this is your belated birthday and early x-mas gift. Inside was a generous amount of folding money :) I have a gps attached to everything else I own that rolls so only took about 4 seconds to decided what to get. I added a little of my own money and waalaa, there she is.

I've been using my smart phone to log all of my rides this year, but this thing just takes it up a notch or two. Can't wait to play with it.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Nice! I'm considering getting a 'cross bike for exploring the fireroads around here. If that happens, I'm going to wish I got the 800 over the 500 for the navigation aspects. Let us know what you think after you've spent some time with it.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Luckily I have found several blogs on how to use it. Apparently it has a pretty steep learning curve especially if you haven't used any of the other Edge units.

Hopefully I'm going riding Thursday afternoon so will give its first shakedown then.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Luckily I have found several blogs on how to use it. Apparently it has a pretty steep learning curve especially if you haven't used any of the other Edge units.

Hopefully I'm going riding Thursday afternoon so will give its first shakedown then.
I've had both the 305 and 500, so I might be able to help with any start-up questions. Also, don't just rely on the Garmin Training Center software. Garmin Connect is free online and quite nice ride analysis software (connect.garmin.com). Also, I use RideWithGPS.com for mapping my routes and I'm pretty sure you can download mapped routes to the 800. You can be my friend on there, too. ;)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've had both the 305 and 500, so I might be able to help with any start-up questions. Also, don't just rely on the Garmin Training Center software. Garmin Connect is free online and quite nice ride analysis software (connect.garmin.com). Also, I use RideWithGPS.com for mapping my routes and I'm pretty sure you can download mapped routes to the 800. You can be my friend on there, too. ;)
Awesome, I'll find you this evening on RideWithGPS.com Was just looking around on there and found a bunch of routes that I've heard several guys talk about on a local riding forum.

For anyone interested, this blog Dummies Guide to the Garmin Edge 800 | Frank Kinlan's Blog has a lot of good info on the 800.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well Alex, will do a friend request on RideWithGps as soon as they fix it. I got a 404 Page Not Found error. Found you though. You look taller on here ;-)

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
Well Alex, will do a friend request on RideWithGps as soon as they fix it. I got a 404 Page Not Found error. Found you though. You look taller on here ;-)
lol, you can do friends on RWGPS?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Xela said:
Also, I use RideWithGPS.com for mapping my routes and I'm pretty sure you can download mapped routes to the 800. You can be my friend on there, too. ;)
I will definitely be signing up for that site whatba wonderful idea. I have seen many sites which claim to allow a route to be uploaded to GPS. This should be interesting and I would love to also be friends with you folks. I wonder if the forerunner 305 will work. That would be awesome.

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
Can't wait to see the first post from the 800!

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
RideWithGPS seems to be working again.

Ha! :D I love that picture. I think I posted it on here a long time ago.

I will definitely be signing up for that site whatba wonderful idea. I have seen many sites which claim to allow a route to be uploaded to GPS. This should be interesting and I would love to also be friends with you folks. I wonder if the forerunner 305 will work. That would be awesome.
I like it a lot. It seems to be the most accurate, at least according to my Garmin on the actual rides, for predicting the elevation gain for routes. Also, it's pretty much ad-free, even for the free version. I'm not even sure what benefits you get by paying.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RideWithGPS seems to be working again.
It's not the site that was down, just the 'Request Friendship' link once you've found someone through a search. I sent them email about it so hopefully they'll get it fixed.

Rola, you're not the only one that can't wait to see the first post from the 800 :D BTW, found you on RideWithGPS too. There's so many choices for those kind of sites, nice to find one that other people you know are using.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I have my fingers crossed that i will be receiving this for xmas also.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sadly I'll be breaking it in on a 5k in an hour or so and not a bike ride. On the bright side, the bike ride will come later today (hopefully) and will know how to use it by then.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts