Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
retromike3
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike I just picked up was a towny. it's set up with 26 inch wheels that are almost 3 inches wide. The reason for the width is that your on the saddle and you can get off of it. So the tires act like a shock absorber.

The reason I got the bike was because about six months ago I had both my legs shattered in a bicycle car collision. Right now it's really tough for me to swing my leg over the frame of any other bikes I own except the towny. The farthest I have been able to go now is about 6 miles. It may not seem like a lot to you but for me it's almost magical. The main thing is I'm back on a bicycle.

The gearing is set up like an old-school mountain bike. It has 48,38,28 chain rings and a 14-34 seven speed rear freewheel. The crankset is made made by the new Suntour company and boy does that look heavy. I'm planning on replacing it and with the position of the crank I might even get away with using a few ancient but never used bio-paced chain rings.

I am also planning on changing the rider position. Right now it's set up so the rider is facing almost vertically. I think with the new handlebar and stem I can cut down a little on the aerodynamic drag. Either way I'm back on the road again I'm going a lot slower now, but I think I'm enjoying it more.

Mike-now its a matter of the bones I haven't broken-Frye

·
retromike3
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
next step

OK, so I just finished updating the gearing on my towny. I have a classic seven speed Suntour freewheel on it with a 13-28 gear range. I also replaced the boat anchor steel chainring crankset that came with the unit. He used to have an old-school 28-38-48 that I replaced with a 26-36-50. since I don't throw anything away the 26 and the 50 are Bio Pace chainrings. Since I can't do much spinning with the way the crank is positioned Bio Pace might work.

I took it to the store and it seemed to work really well. Next step is to replace the handlebars. I am trying to get rid of the almost vertical writing position. I will let you know when I updated my ride.

Mike

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
It's great that you are riding again!

With the crank forward design, I don't think you want your upper body leaned forward. Although your upper body is vertical, since your legs are inclined, you're already bent at the waist.

Enjoy the ride for what it is. Don't worry about speed and aerodynamics (the only reasons to lower handlebars). You're not racing. Fast is relative to the rider and the ride. Go fast on your Townie, sitting up!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts