Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started to use Strava to track my rides in the morning. After seeing some figures I may be feeling a little disappointed. It feels like I am flying but my average speed is only 14MPH with a peak of 21MPH over 10 miles. Is this good, is this bad? I am getting a good work out and could go further, but I am not sure that I am getting the performance I would like to see.

I have been taking it easier on the knee by staying in the second chain ring most of the time (usually in 5th gear). I dont want to peter out and wish to push harder (little at a time). Guess I just want to go faster longer.

I dont know guess I need a pep talk.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
10 mile rides are my fav. I often check my speed when it feels average & it's between 12 & 15 MPH. I can hit 21 on flat terrain for a short while.
HOWEVER it takes me 75 minutes to go 10 miles, hmmmm. Does your average run door to door without breaks or with breaks?
Start pushing yourself on the second half of your ride. Pay attention to your knee, during and after the ride.
If you like going fast do short rides flat out.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Consider your current performance as your baseline, and then start doing intervals. For the second half of your ride, kick the pace up a few notches for about a minute, then go back to your normal pace for 3-4 minutes. Repeat as necessary, with a cool down. Do not do this every day. Alternate with a comfortable pace that covers more distance. Over time, you will see your average speed increase.

There are no bad numbers, everybody is different. For some, a leisure pace is all they could ever want.

·
Two skinny J's
21,352 Posts
I started to use Strava to track my rides in the morning. After seeing some figures I may be feeling a little disappointed. It feels like I am flying but my average speed is only 14MPH with a peak of 21MPH over 10 miles. Is this good, is this bad? I am getting a good work out and could go further, but I am not sure that I am getting the performance I would like to see.

I have been taking it easier on the knee by staying in the second chain ring most of the time (usually in 5th gear). I dont want to peter out and wish to push harder (little at a time). Guess I just want to go faster longer.

I dont know guess I need a pep talk.
Time in the saddle, ride, ride, and ride some more! Like Hack said put in some intervals and throw in some LSD ( Long Steady Distance ) and maybe most important of all try and find somebody better than you to ride with. Try and find a group that has B and C pace rides and ride with for a while.

Try and stretch out ride once you get comfortable on your 10 mile ride. They say to increase by 10%

I'm curious if that is your avg speed of the ride or avg moving speed?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
...It feels like I am flying but my average speed is only 14MPH with a peak of 21MPH over 10 miles...
You are flying! 14mph on a mountain bike (with road tires) is fast. :thumbsup: It's reasonably fast for a recreational/fitness rider on any bike.

I think you're on the right track, spinning in a middle gear most of the time and pushing a bigger gear less often. Spinning makes you fast, big gear makes you strong. Being stronger makes you faster too, but as you say "little at a time" - to avoid injury.

·
Registered
6,994 Posts
Omni,
Like someone else suggested, use this new information as your starting point. Strava probably keeps a history of your rides. If not, keep a log.

As you ride, you can look through your history and begin seeing improvements.
Remember, everyone has GREAT days & BAD days. It is the overall picture that you should look at.
Most of all, if you are recovering from a recent injury, listen to the advice of your Dr. as well as your body.
You'll figure out just when to push it to the next level.
Let us know when you reach your next goal.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I just want to make sure I get gains. I have fallen in love with cycling.

I'll work intervals into my week day rides or every other and my distance rides on the weekend.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Omni, you're doing great! All good advise above. Dos_Ruedas said what I was going to say. Log the details of all your rides and you will start to see improvements even though you might not 'feel' like you're going faster. As the saying goes, it never gets easier, you just go faster.

And yes, it's just cycling.... have fun!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I could manage 15mph on my first 10 speed and I'm hard pressed to match that now 35+ years later with 24 or 27 gears to work with. I never got any "better", but it's been good for my health despite getting run over by a car or two.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I agree with all of the advice above. I read somewhere it never gets easier you just go faster.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
It gets harder and you go slower.

Not as slow as the couch potato or the guy who died from heart disease and has been resting peacefully for years.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great advice guys, that is why I post here.

I have fun each ride. I love that I can see and feel results. Kicked the BP meds.

I just want to get more speed and distance while I save for a roadie. I don't want to get myself stuck in a rut where I run out of gas too soon or cant hold speed.

I can get up on the big ring and get speed up, but I have to monitor strain on the knee. Each ride it is getting stronger. After a ride I ice it and take aspirin.

How or when should you use big chain ring? Is itnfor speed?

·
12,350 Posts
Build your speed without the big ring. Just spin. Especially if you have knee issues. You want to use your lungs, which are nearly limitless, rather than just muscles, which will suffer from lactic acid buildup fairly quickly.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the pep guys. Love this forum as the advice is warm and helpful. I'm learning a lot.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WERD. 13.6 miles with an average speed of 14.1 MPH and a top speed of 27.7 MPH (on a 30lb mountain bike). 27 was sustained for over 60 seconds. Was hoping to get further out of my route so towards the end I was pushing hard. Turns out it wasn't as long as i thought as the goal was 15 miles. Not junk miles either, vigorous effort the entire way keeping my speed up. I had a couple rests at red lights I must admit.

·
12,350 Posts
Just be sure you have a rest day between your hard effort days. And that doesn't mean rest off the bike. Go out and do an easy spin. You'll need blood flow to your muscles to remove lactic acid buildup. If you're sore after a good workout, that's the best fix.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hack, after two tough days I plan on a quick easy spin before work tomorrow. Wed and Sunday are ususally rest days, but for fathers day I was called to the bike.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts