I need help with lighting project.

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by bones, Sep 17, 2009.

1. bones

bones Guest

I am an industrial design student at the Art Institute of Colorado. I am designing a new lighting system for bicycles for my grad project and I need some ideas. I have been riding a bike for a long time and I have some ideas, but I was wondering if anyone had complaints about their current lighting system or if there is anything you particularly like about your lighting system. Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Thank you
    mike

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Hey mike,

Welcome to the site!

Is your lighting system going to be for a road/commuter bike or mtn bike?

3. bones

bones Guest

The main focus is a commuter bike, but i don't want the light system to be limited to one style of bicycle. Basically I want to design a fool proof system that activates automatically, creates lots of visibility, and has nice atheistical value.

4. Biker

Biker New Member

I get blinded buy oncoming lights a lot maybe find some way of designing a lite that won't blind me.

5. darkangel

darkangel Guest

Are there special glasses that you can see through at night but are anti-glare?

6. saladspokes

saladspokes Guest

Don't motorcyclists have those?

7. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I've been thinking about this and for a commuter bike it would be nice to have some sort of locking system so the light can't be stolen if left on the bike. I have a pretty nice high intensity LED bike light w/a lithium Ion battery that I commute with. I would be afraid to leave my bike locked up outside with the light still mounted because it could be easily stolen. I am lucky that I can bring my bike in to my office while I'm at work. Many don't have that luxury.

A rechargeable battery and solar cell would be cool too. When left outside, the battery could charge itself. Since many cyclists are environmentally conscious, I think it would be a good move to offer this, not to mention the convenience of not having to replace batteries. An auxiliary wall socket charger would have to be supplied as well for when solar recharging is not possible or would take too long.

Some things that I like about my current headlight (Princeton Tec Switchback 1) that I would also incorporate are multiple settings: 3 intensity levels and a blinking mode; A high intensity Luxeon LED emitter and rechargeable Lithium Ion battery; A helmet mount as well as a bar mount; A coiled extension cord; car charger.

Another feature that would be cool and I don't think any commuter light has is an audible low battery alarm. The light could also be made to switch into a power conservation mode when the battery is low.

Hope this helps and good luck with your project.

-Scott

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  8. malsackj

malsackj New Member

lighting

So why not consider the auto answer of low beam and high beam.

I used two systems on my bike one for a long range down the road and one bright and close range.

I like the one on the helmet also because this can be pointed in direction of view without changing bike direction.

Rear lights I still like the auto answer of a nice single red lamp to indicate location and the blinking yellow indicating hazard. The solid red indicator gives constant location and if on the outer left side of the bike helps drivers to pass safely because they can find the outer left side of the rider.

A small DC generator can be added to the wheels to generate power to recharge the batteries. I like the one where it hits the center of the wheels to reduce pressure on the sidewall and a design that works well with higher speeds. 15 to 30 mph. instead of the 10 to 12 mph. Use of a voltage regulator to keep voltage stable and prevent burnout.

Now with the advent of lithium light weight batteries we should see more of them and lower cost.

Pro Audio speakers use a speakon connector to create a moisture resistant connction safely this might be adaptable and improved to weather proof.

9. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I would really like somthing that cut down on glare from on coming cars.

10. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Is this to see or be seen?

11. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

In order to see. I'm close to night blind.

12. rustang64

rustang64 New Member

I've been thinking about, In order to prevent theft, a lighting system fully contained in handlebars or something along those lines. My plan had something like 2 LEDs on each side and a halogen in the center (would require a custom stem as well). Could be pretty slick if done right.

13. ThinkBike

ThinkBike New Member

There is a huge thread over at MTBR.com forums on DIY (do it yourself) lights.

There's more info there than I've seen anywhere. Give it a shot.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010