Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yesterday I was looking at a specialized s-works tricross bike with a flat bar instead of a road bike handlebar. The frame is a 2006 or 2007 but was only used on smooth roads. One more thing that concerns me is that I'm 5'10 and the frame is 54cms. I don't know if that frame works with me?? And what's the normal weight for that type of bike? Also is that frame a strong frame especially being that old?

·
Banned
430 Posts
You will have to try it and see. Frame sizes are like jeans sizes. If you get a pair that fits, you will still be in the ball park if you switch brands. I'm 5'11 and usually like 52 or 54cm road frames. You can change stems, but too short a frame and you'll be banging your knees or feel like you can't get comfortable. Too long and you'll be hunched over more because a slacker seat tube angle and longer top tube, bending you at the middle. You should feel like you can hover just off the saddle and easily move your center of gravity to the front or back wheel at will.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
salvage_bikes said:
You will have to try it and see. Frame sizes are like jeans sizes. If you get a pair that fits, you will still be in the ball park if you switch brands. I'm 5'11 and usually like 52 or 54cm road frames. You can change stems, but too short a frame and you'll be banging your knees or feel like you can't get comfortable. Too long and you'll be hunched over more because a slacker seat tube angle and longer top tube, bending you at the middle. You should feel like you can hover just off the saddle and easily move your center of gravity to the front or back wheel at will.
Thanks for the info. But my problem is that the bikes not assembled. I'm trying to make it more a hybrid with a speed and light weight. It seem the more info I gather the more confused I feel. I want something that you can ride on sidewalks around the neighborhood and some dirt roads but nothing rough and also ride 20 mile with not problem. Any suggestions?

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Depends on your inseam and torso length. You'll need to stand over it, and sit on the seat while reaching for the bars. There is no secret formula unless you are 100% average.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Not all 54 cm frames are equal. The length of the top tube can make a big difference on fit. What you want to make sure of is that your knee is NOT forward of the pedal when the pedals are at the 3 and 9 positions. That is a recipe for a trip to the Dr. with knee problems. Seats do have some forward and backward adjustments. Yet the different angles in the triangles can make a difference in how everything balances out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Industry_Hack said:
I consolidated your four threads into one. Please accept my apologies if anything got lost while trying to maintain continuity.
Thanks for consolidating my threads.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks for the info. But my problem is that the bikes not assembled. I'm trying to make it more a hybrid with a speed and light weight. It seem the more info I gather the more confused I feel. I want something that you can ride on sidewalks around the neighborhood and some dirt roads but nothing rough and also ride 20 mile with not problem. Any suggestions?
In most states riding on sidewalks is illegal and in all states it is a danger to pedestrians and not conducive to a good ride. And yes the frame is too big for you but no the age of it would not make it more fragile. I am sure that you can find plenty of used bikes that are ready to go and that you will be able to try out before you buy. Have fun.

·
Registered
148 Posts
In most states riding on sidewalks is illegal and in all states it is a danger to pedestrians and not conducive to a good ride. And yes the frame is too big for you, but no the age of it would not make it more fragile. I am sure that you can find plenty of used bikes that are ready to go and that you will be able to try out before you buy. Have fun.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I'm 5'9" and my Specialized Roubaix (a similar frame to what your looking at) is a 56cm.

·
Banned
430 Posts
I think the bike you are looking at should be fine. A cyclocross bike should take quite a beating or "urban assault" riding and commuting just fine. If the frame ends up too big, you can find a "donor" frame used or internet sale, and swap the components over to remedy the problem.

I generally avoid riding bicycles on sidewalks, despite all the cagers over the years yelling "get on the sidewalk where you belong" etc.

It is generally not illegal unless prohibited by local ordinances, but if you go blazing down a sidewalk, there are 2 major dangers: cars pulling out, and pedestrians getting incensed and wrecking your bike.

http://bicycling.com/blogs/roadrights/files/2011/10/road-rights-sidewalks.jpg
http://bicycling.com/blogs/roadrights/2011/11/02/moving-targets-cyclists-and-pedestrians/

In most states riding on sidewalks is illegal and in all states it is a danger to pedestrians and not conducive to a good ride. And yes the frame is too big for you, but no the age of it would not make it more fragile. I am sure that you can find plenty of used bikes that are ready to go and that you will be able to try out before you buy. Have fun.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
May not be against state law, but most cities have restrictions. The more crowded the sidewalk, the more likely you are to have a law against it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts