Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work at a restaurant and we all keep our bikes chained together. We had a couple of early off last night so the load got little lighter I guess. Long story short, I go out at the end of my shift to ride home, and it's not there. I'm waiting to hear from the early off guys (one of them borrows it to run errands if I'm still on, from time to time), but I'm relatively sure my bike is gone. I had my car broken into some years back and the APD was completely useless, so even if it's stolen there's nothing I can do about it. I'm equal parts angry and sad. I still have my project bike, but that's at least a couple of weeks off from being ready. Damn.

·
Bent Newbie - old rider
144 Posts
That always sucks. I had a less-than-a-year-old Nishiki stolen when some doofus kicked in the back door of the house we were renting at the time. Replaced it with the '84 Trek.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep it's gone. Me and a couple of other people's. Evidently they had to cut three locks, to our reckoning, but my guess is only one was actually chained to the building (if that) so they only had to cut one then throw it in the back of a truck. This isn't the first time I've been robbed/stolen from. I'm almost getting used to it. Scum. All of them. I would use harsher words but they would just get censored.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is a special place in hell for those that steal bikes, along with people that throw cigarette butts out their car windows.
So, you too as well have caught a ciggy butt in the mug whilst riding next to traffic if the bike lanes. When it has hapened to me they usually bounce once and their rebound trajectory has smite me in the "Blunt Skull".

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
So, you too as well have caught a ciggy butt in the mug whilst riding next to traffic if the bike lanes. When it has hapened to me they usually bounce once and their rebound trajectory has smite me in the "Blunt Skull".
No, I was doing 80+ on the freeway, going to work. It took a lot of self control not to pull up next to the jerk in the BMW and kick the side of his car.

I've also gotten into a confrontation with a lady in a parking lot. She dropped her butt on the ground as she got out of her car, and didn't even bother to step on it. I politely asked her to at least step on it, and pointed to the ashtray by the door of the store. She told me to mind my own business, which of course set me off. She's free to do as she wishes in her car, but outside her car, the world belongs to all of us. So I call her something that starts with "fat" and ends with that word all women despise. From the look on her face, you'd think I had slapped her. Then she threatened to call the police, so I pointed out that they were only across, the street, and I'd be happy to wait. Further, I told her I'd be more than willing to admit that I called her a *** **** (yes, I said it again) for throwing a lit cigarette out of her car.

Other than that, I try not to be so confrontational, but some people just have no regard for anyone but themselves.

·
Registered
25 Posts
No, I was doing 80+ on the freeway, going to work. It took a lot of self control not to pull up next to the jerk in the BMW and kick the side of his car.

I've also gotten into a confrontation with a lady in a parking lot. She dropped her butt on the ground as she got out of her car, and didn't even bother to step on it. I politely asked her to at least step on it, and pointed to the ashtray by the door of the store. She told me to mind my own business, which of course set me off. She's free to do as she wishes in her car, but outside her car, the world belongs to all of us. So I call her something that starts with "fat" and ends with that word all women despise. From the look on her face, you'd think I had slapped her. Then she threatened to call the police, so I pointed out that they were only across, the street, and I'd be happy to wait. Further, I told her I'd be more than willing to admit that I called her a *** **** (yes, I said it again) for throwing a lit cigarette out of her car.

Other than that, I try not to be so confrontational, but some people just have no regard for anyone but themselves.
I too, upon occasion, have called arse hat women (yes they do exist) that "c" word, but usually in a hole in the wall bar situation. Usually I get slapped in the face for it then I respond to them that I pay good money to have women do that to me and I get slapped again. Maby I'm kind of sick but I kind of like that women slapping me in the face thing.

I digress, sorry for getting off topic here and I'm truely sorry for the theft of the bike. When I had my old Schwin Varsity stolen many years ago, I morned it's loss for nearly 2 months. I still think of that bike from time to time even after all these years. That bike and I had been alot of places and seen alot of miles togeather over the years. When it happened to me I had just completed a total rebuild/upgrade from the bare frame up. I'm not exactly for sure, but I think the loss of that Schwin many years ago emotionally scarred me. I'm a bit OCD about my bike now. That Commencal I have now stays in the house with me and never leaves my sight when on outings.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, quick update. We kind of think we figured out what happened. Long story short. The person closest to the wall left leaving a mess of tangled bikes not attached to any structure. All said and done 3 bikes gone. None high dollar, all broke folk bikes. They couldn't even pawn most of the components. Back to driving to work. The other two don't even have cars so they will be taking the bus. I'm a couple of months out of completing my project bike, so there is light at the end of the tunnel, it's just a long tunnel.

·
Registered
360 Posts
anyway in this day and age unless you saw the theft or you have a reliable eyewitness,there not a lot you can do.
All the best anyway hope you get your new ride sorted

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not even worth it. We didn't even call the cops. Somebody jacked it and either trashed it, or painted it and changed out some of the components. It happens all the time down here. Calling the cops would only waste everyone's time.

I'm getting over it. I still have this sense of angst, but the hostility is starting to die down. I'm still staring at bikes thinking they might be mine when I see a cyclist as I'm driving into work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is a special place in hell for those that steal bikes, along with people that throw cigarette butts out their car windows.
We have a hotline number here to the police for people littering from cars, nothing worse than seeing a cigarette butt fly out the window. I've had the pleasure of calling it several times. It's a machine, you leave the cars license plate info and they get a nice ticket in the mail

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We have a hotline number here to the police for people littering from cars, nothing worse than seeing a cigarette butt fly out the window. I've had the pleasure of calling it several times. It's a machine, you leave the cars license plate info and they get a nice ticket in the mail
I don't like this. It's more or less just a secret police, citizen based, that can inflict financial woes, without concern. Scary.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts