Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The thought of a bicycle built for two is awesome. I'm thinking about getting one myself, post up some pictures of yours!

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
I wish there were more tandem riders, I tried to convince my wife, she said no then laughed at me. I did tell her we would be wearing matching clothes.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Fun getting laughed at by the spouse for me is so common it doesn't even rate a blip on the radar screen. I keep thinking too that after 20 years I have finally figured out every possible way to make her mad. But so far I am still successful at finding new ways. I tell folks I have gray hair for very good reasons.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Fun getting laughed at by the spouse for me is so common it doesn't even rate a blip on the radar screen. I keep thinking too that after 20 years I have finally figured out every possible way to make her mad. But so far I am still successful at finding new ways. I tell folks I have gray hair for very good reasons.
It's good to see I'm not lone.

Wad the front end mushy IH? How much practice did it take to get out on trails with that?

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
That's 5" of mush, rated for 400lbs of riders. The front axle is a 20mm bolt on, and the discs at the time were 203mm titanium. The frame and most of the smaller hardware are titanium too. There was a bit of a learning curve, but for tandems, it's mostly trust and communication. The captain needs to call out bumps and obstacles to the stoker. I don't recall a single crash on the trails - it actually handled really well.

The only sketchy situation we were ever in was actually on pavement, riding down a very steep hill. We exceeded the speed limit by a big margin, and I was losing faith in the brakes. In corners, the tires would squeal like a Starsky & Hutch police chase.

When I brought it in to show the guys at our local downhill shop (this was in Australia, and it was the guys from Phoenix Films) one of them commented that he would just want duct tape over his goggles if he had to ride out back.
:D

·
Biking With a Mission
159 Posts
On the tandem subject... (not the nagging wife subject. I'll leave that to others)

There are a few bike companies that make Mountain Tandems, here is a link to Ellsworth's Witness:
Ellsworth Handcrafted Bikes

here's a pretty good video of one (or actually three) in action:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbxSK5PCSo8]YouTube - WebCyclery.com Tandem Mountain Bike Video[/ame]

·
♥'s Bicycles
499 Posts

On the roof rack
-and-
what it looked like when I purchased it

Super fun. Mrs. HandsomeRyan and I love it.

·
Recreational and Utility Rider :)
243 Posts

A photo of us and our Trek T-900 Hybrid tandem, August 2011 at the start of the Peoples Peda Party, downtown Colorado Springs, CO.

·
Recreational and Utility Rider :)
243 Posts
I have a tandem, no stoker.:(
Nice looking Ridged MTB tandem, hope you find a stroker soon, I'm lucky, my wife of 31 years, really digs the tandem, LOL, I think she likes it even more than I do!;) ENJOY!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts