Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Saturday I did an annual bike ride called ONABIKE. It starts/end in Onawa, Iowa. The 62 mile route goes through various pass through towns in Monona and Harrison Counties. On the last stretch between the last town of Blencoe and the start/end town Onawa I was assaulted by a motorist. He threw a full beer can at and hit me with it. It hit me in the helmet, exploded and bounced off. I stopped and reported it. I reported it to one of the ride officials driving the sag wagon. He reported it to the Monona County Sheriff's and Onawa Police Dept.

At this point I continued riding. I was expecting to have a sheriff's deputy find me on the route or meet me in Onawa to file a report. None did. I called the Monana County Sheriff's office yesterday to follow up. No investigation is being done. This has pissed me off. SoI sent an email to the Monona County Attorney's office. The email gives the details of what happened. Asks that an invesitgation be opened, including finding and collecting the beer can as evidence for finger prints, etc. I stated I expect something to be done about this. I stated I feel like I am getting the brush off form the sheriff's dept. and asked if this is how they treat visitors to the county compared to residents when a crime against a person is committed? I have yet to receive a response form the county attorney.

I am not going to let this go. If I do not get the justice I deserve I will be very critical about Monona County and people will see that on the internet.

Here is the current blog post about it:
Some ******* threw something at and hit me.

There will be more once I receive a response from the county attorney's office.

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
Fingerprints from a beer can -- don't see it doing much good. What if the 'pitcher' doesn't have a record? Fruitless.

No license plate from the car? (You didn't mention that, did you get it?)

If the cops there are ANYthing like here in my town, it's "no blood no foul".

Sad that it happened, I'd be pissed, too. But it's a bit of a reach here for an official investigation, I think.

·
'57 Schwinn Wasp
224 Posts
Actually, I suspect the cops and authorities would luv to catch this cretin before he really hurts someone. But like CTD sez, you have to provide more info than you were able too. You can take some solace in the fact anger freaks like this will get caught, they just can't help themselves. Of course, they will most likely blame everyone but themselves.

I remember in the 80s a semi truck speeding by me on white-knuckle drive up to Vail in a whiteout blizzard. My son was shocked that I'd *let* the truck pass me, and through clenched teeth (yes I was that scared) I muttered we'd see him in the ditch a mile up the road. You know what, we did and upside down too. You don't always get to see it happen but you can bet it will for those folks who create their own bad luck.

·
Cranking Old Guy
712 Posts
Did you have a cell phone/
Did you get the make and color of the car?
Did you get any of the Lic.?
And yes I know it's hard to do/think after getting hit in the head with a can of beer.

Good Luck next time!

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I could not get a plate number. He was gonig too fast, hwy speed.

A couple of weeks ago a 21 year old dumb ass punk kid who doesn't give a damn abotu anyone but himself, was seen in Missouri Valley, Iowa driving erratically. It was reported by someone and the police there just missed catching him by minutes. A little later, near the Little Sioux, Iowa exit on I-29, this punk crossed the center line, hit 4 motorcycle riders head on and killed them. This area is in Harrison County, Iowa. This section of interstate is under construction and traffic from one side is diverted to the other side and is 2-lane, head to head. This punk crossed the flimsy weak orange plastic sticks used to mark the center line of the lane. The motorcycle riders were VFW and American Legion members.

Imagine what would have happened if Missouri Valley Police had responded sooner and caught this punk kid. 4 valuable members of society would be alive today.

Why do I bring this up? I am kind of comparing it to my incident. What this ******* did to me was minor, only because I was not injured. But imagine what else would have happened if he killed someone up ahead of where he threw the beer can at me. It is very likely he was drunk driving when he threw the beer can at me. And all because law enforcement did not respond to catch the S.O.B. Thankfully nothing more happened, but Monona County could have easily had a similar situation to deal with that Harrison County is now facing.

I imagine the officer or officers in Missouri Valley who did not respond when they should have or as fast as they maybe should have for what ever reason is being investigated as to why they did not respond when those 4 motorcycle riders were killed. I imagine they have a bit of guilt to deal with, even if they should not feel guilty and likely did nothing wrong. At least they tried to catch the idiot. No one in Monona County even lifted a finger to help.

The area of Little Sioux, Iowa and Harrison County where the punk killed the motorcycle riders is just south of where the ******* threw the beer can at me and not too far from I-29.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you have a cell phone/
Did you get the make and color of the car?
Did you get any of the Lic.?
And yes I know it's hard to do/think after getting hit in the head with a can of beer.

Good Luck next time!
Yes I stopped and reported it. It was a white pickup. Going too fast for me to get lic number.

·
Cranking Old Guy
712 Posts
Hey Dude, you need to learn to duck a little faster!

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Dude, you need to learn to duck a little faster!
So you're saying I should expect a full beer can to be thrown at me from a moving truck? I should not expect some measure of safe driving and respect from other roadways users?

·
Cranking Old Guy
712 Posts
First of all I was joking with you.
Second of all there's not much you can do about!

You want to get even, get active and VOTE.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Similar Incident

Here's a link to a blog story about a similar incident that happened to my friend and a large group of cyclists in central Illinois earlier this summer. A license plate was provided and the sheriff still did little to catch the guy:

My Name is Rob: Rage

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jonas, what are of Illinois were you riding in? I have ridden in the Spring Valley, Lasalle/Peru area myself and love it there. I have also had the pleasure of riding in the Spring Bay area. Beautiful river valley scenery.

Also jonas, what I would do is post the drivers plate number all over the internet. Beleive me, if I could do that to the idiot who threw the beer can at me I would.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Whether or not he got a plate is irrelevant. Fact is, someone threw a hard, solid object at his head - that's assault with a deadly weapon and a report should have been taken. This blatant disregard for public safety is ridiculous. By ignoring what happened, the Sheriff's office is sending the message that this type of behavior is okay. I imagine you're fighting an uphill battle, but keep at it.
If a someone drove past a school and threw a rock at a student and hit them, you can bet something would be done - this is no different.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,502 Posts
Police don't do much besides fill out the paperwork after a crime. We shouldn't expect more.

·
'57 Schwinn Wasp
224 Posts
I'm glad some people wanna be cops, cuz then I don't have to do the dirty job. It's easy to gripe at a bad situation. It takes much more to be a part of the solution. Are there bad cops? Yes. There is a bad element in any profession. But that doesn't mean that all policemen are bad. Those who jump on that band wagon paint with way too broad a brush for my tastes. I'm just sayin'...

·
No longer a newb!
177 Posts
Nothing for nothing, but how much time had gone by when the SAG official reported the incident to the police? If even 10 minutes had gone by, and with no tag number and a third party description, what did you expect to happen; an immediate apprehension of the suspect? Also, police investigate, but the District Attorney is responsible in deciding which investigations should go forward to trial.

So without a solid ID, no knowledge of how long it took the SAG to report the assault and no clear way to apprehend the suspect I'm not surprised that nothing has progressed in this matter.

Now am I saying that this assault doesn't matter or is just a minor matter and the OP should just deal with it; no I'm not. This behavior is NOT acceptable and in a perfect world that person would have been locked up. I've been a victim of road rage from motorists myself so I can relate and sympathize (had a 40 oz Big Gulp thrown at me by a car going 55 mph which f---ing hurt I can tell you). Hopefully the idiot that threw the beer can will do something else equally stupid and finally get caught for something. Karma is a bitch!

Just my two cents ....

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nothing for nothing, but how much time had gone by when the SAG official reported the incident to the police? If even 10 minutes had gone by, and with no tag number and a third party description, what did you expect to happen; an immediate apprehension of the suspect? Also, police investigate, but the District Attorney is responsible in deciding which investigations should go forward to trial.

So without a solid ID, no knowledge of how long it took the SAG to report the assault and no clear way to apprehend the suspect I'm not surprised that nothing has progressed in this matter.

Now am I saying that this assault doesn't matter or is just a minor matter and the OP should just deal with it; no I'm not. This behavior is NOT acceptable and in a perfect world that person would have been locked up. I've been a victim of road rage from motorists myself so I can relate and sympathize (had a 40 oz Big Gulp thrown at me by a car going 55 mph which f---ing hurt I can tell you). Hopefully the idiot that threw the beer can will do something else equally stupid and finally get caught for something. Karma is a bitch!

Just my two cents ....
First thank you all for your comments.

Second the response from the sag driver was immediate. He is a fire fighter in Onawa nad understands the importance of an immediate response like this when it comes to someones safety.

Third, I hope the drives does not do something equally stupid. That will mean someone else will be hit and possibly injured the next time, maybe worse. Just because officials in Monona County responded quickly and actually did something, does nto mean officials in another county or community will do the same. If you read my response to the Monona County Sheriff, Jeff Pratt, I point out in other areas of Iowa law enforcement does little to nothing to catch and or prosecute the person, even with a lot more evidence than what happend to me.

I am just glad Monona County made a good effort do do something and I was wrong to jump to conclusions they would treat this as other counties in Iowa have.

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
My Brother got a beer bottle thrown at his face while riding in a car. Unprovoked just a local idiot.

They knew the guy, went to the Police Station, filed a report. He was cut, obvious cuts, evidence, etc.

Police did nothing, absolutely nothing, saw the guy walking around town all the time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My Brother got a beer bottle thrown at his face while riding in a car. Unprovoked just a local idiot.

They knew the guy, went to the Police Station, filed a report. He was cut, obvious cuts, evidence, etc.

Police did nothing, absolutely nothing, saw the guy walking around town all the time.
How is this okay? Coming from a law enforcement background, I do believe the good cops far out number the bad ones (just like cyclists are labeled a bother because of a handful of jerks). But this is not right!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts