Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 19 of 131 Posts

·
Mom's Taxi
5,556 Posts
We are allowed to go for walks, bike rides, and all kinds of appointments. Grocery shopping is a challenge with all of the hoarders. Good thing I don't need toilet paper, yet.

·
Mom's Taxi
5,556 Posts
When one has a government pension (State of California) one must fill out a worksheet for, I believe it is called WEP, to see if one qualifies for SS. Unfortunately, when I worked jobs that required SS withholding, I didn't make very much. Some of my quarters might not count.

·
Mom's Taxi
5,556 Posts
Figures, it’s California. Wife and I get state retirement and social security checks with no worksheet to fill out and no state income tax. Many, many years ago, I had a federal government job, for a short stint, and they took SS withdrawals out that counted toward my retirement income. If that’s a California thing, I don’t understand why anyone would work for that state’s government.
It is a Social Security thing. I am not sure how long it has been in effect. A friend just retired as a fire fighter. He also worked as an emt for the ambulance companies that operated in the area. Before he was old enough to work for the fire district he worked construction. He did the worksheet and found quite a few quarters didn't count.

·
Mom's Taxi
5,556 Posts
Safety retirement is because we worked in "dangerous" situations. One of my first job locations required me to be locked in a room with 3 murderers, 1 involuntary man slaughterer, an armed robber, and a possession of stolen property inmate. And I had the keys to get in and get out. Technically to qualify for safety one had to supervise 2 or more inmates.

1 - 19 of 131 Posts