I was just thinking

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by rola643, Jan 21, 2020.

1. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

Depending on the names that are on the letters and who is mentioned in the letters, you can try going to one of the local genealogist in your area. You would be surprised what they can find. My wife does genealogy. A year and a half ago she started working on my son-in-laws family and was going to give it to them as a Christmas present, this past Christmas. She finally gave a rough copy to his family a few weeks ago that contained over 4,000 names. Every name was verified and included birth and death certificates, marriage licenses, photos, obituaries, grave stone photos draft notices and anything else she could find to verify the accuracy. So I'm sure that a genealogist can trace those letters to who wrote them and who received them and their relationship to your mother.

fpl1 and Dos_Ruedas like this.
  2. MilesR

MilesR Mom's Taxi Tavern Member

John, if I remember correctly, one of the names received letters in 3 states. None of them were California. If the one that indicates it was written in 1851 is correct, that is the oldest thing I have ever held.

fpl1, Dos_Ruedas and John_V like this.

3. John_V

Doesn't matter where they were living at the time. They can look up the name in the state where the address is located and by postmark, they can look up the name in the Census for that period. Once they have that, they also have other household names to link the person to. They can go in several directions from there. The wife says it isn't that difficult to do but can be time consuming depending on how far up or down the tree you want them to research.

fpl1 and Dos_Ruedas like this.
  4. MilesR

MilesR Mom's Taxi Tavern Member

I have no idea if they belong in the tree. I have never heard of these people.

John_V likes this.
  5. longjohn

longjohn tall old member

I was just thinking I should bring people up to date on why I’m not posting anything about my rides. I’m not riding. I have been my wife’s primary hospice care giver since January. I can’t leave her alone to go ride or run or go to the gym. I rode the trainer for awhile but riding a bike on a trainer really sucks. Most food doesn’t taste right to my wife so I cook whatever she wants. For awhile I made two different meals three times a day. That was getting old so I started just eating what she ate.
    Fast forward to July and the combination of not getting aerobic exercise and eating junk along with the stress of being a caregiver and the covid thing, I had a heart attack. I now have stents. Take blood thinners and beta blockers. Still can’t get out and get exercise. I walked a mile around the yard today. I’m going to try to stick with the walking. They wanted me in cardiac rehab three days a week but I can’t do that and care for my wife. My crap insurance won’t pay for it either.

6. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Hope things get better for you soon!
    As I was reading this I was wondering who cared for your wife during and right after your heart attack. That just doesn't like a good situation. Hope you have family/kids close that can help.

Dos_Ruedas, John_V and MilesR like this.
  7. maelochs

maelochs Old, fat, and slow

Sad to hear it, Mr. Longjohn. Glad you are still alive, though. You are one tough tall old member.

Dos_Ruedas, John_V and MilesR like this.
  8. John_V

Sorry to hear about the heart attack and the issues you are going through. Have you looked into state assistance programs? My father in law received state assisted home health care before he passed; that was in Illinois. I know Florida has programs for in home hospice care.

Dos_Ruedas likes this.
  9. longjohn

longjohn tall old member

The in home hospice care is one or two quick nursing visits a week and an aide that spends about an hour a day Monday thru Friday.
    When I was in the hospitals for four days hospice stepped it up to 8am to 5pm and a lady from church came out to cover until my son could get here. He would spend the night and make breakfast before going to work.
    When I got home I was on a ten pound weight restriction for seven days. I could cook and stuff but couldn’t get my wife on the bed pan. I would either call my brother (15 minutes away) or my son if he was off work (30 minutes away). Hospice would provide up to a week in a nursing home but it would take a week to get her tested for covid and admitted. I didn’t want her there anyway. It’s been a tough year.

10. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Well-Known Member

My family is praying for yours longjohn

longjohn and John_V like this.
  11. fpl1

fpl1 Well-Known Member Tavern Member

Praying for you too.

longjohn, John_V and Dos_Ruedas like this.
  12. rola643

Last night's surprise. This is a common device. I had an ingress outage last night and had to stop and splice this 2 way splitter.

Not normally a big deal but this had 3 one inch trunk cables in it . I had 15” crescent wrenches with all my weight leaning into the bucket on these and could barley break them loose. That size trunk is great fun to bend and splice! There are only 2 sizes bigger that I am aware of 1125 ( 1 1/4 ") and 1160 ( slightly bigger than an 1 1/2" in diameter. I can almost put my fist int that connector :))
    IMG_1939.jpg

Somebody left a seizure screw loose and this was one span away from a power supply and melted into the housing.

IMG_1940.jpg

lectrichead, fpl1, longjohn and 2 others like this.
  13. lectrichead

lectrichead Well-Known Member

Was just thinking... all these decades of cycling and I've only just now (as of yesterday) covered 1/3 of the roads in my county.

Clipboard-1.jpg

fpl1, Dos_Ruedas, rola643 and 3 others like this.
  14. Dos_Ruedas

Looks to me like it’s time to broaden your horizons.

fpl1, John_V and maelochs like this.
  15. fpl1

fpl1 Well-Known Member Tavern Member

That’s a cool feature on strava. Didnt know about that.

John_V likes this.
  16. lectrichead

I have been lately - but it's a fairly big county and I'm more of a meanderer rather than an out-and-backer and the outer parts of the county are a bit beyond the range of what I'd ride directly with my bike. Been throwing it on the car a little here and there in my obsession with covering more of the county ;)

John_V and fpl1 like this.
  17. lectrichead

Oh no - not Strava. It's through this website - https://wandrer.earth/ Kinda cool website.

John_V and fpl1 like this.
  18. rola643

Special visitor this weekend.
    IMG_1951.jpg

Come to Papas and learn to be a respectful, responsible, productive citizen taking garbage out and mopping floors.

All In fun now but learning the right skills and manners young. She took that bag of garbage all the way out to Papas truck all on her own!!

IMG_1957.jpg
    IMG_1958.jpg

lectrichead, fpl1, John_V and 2 others like this.
  19. Dos_Ruedas

20. rola643

We may never actually know how licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie roll lollipop...nearest I can tell it's somewhere around 3 :D

Dos_Ruedas, FRISKY, John_V and 2 others like this.