I was just thinking

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by rola643, Jan 21, 2020.

1. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Burned out at work and have to burn some time so I took next week off. Going to change it up and head North of here. Made a short loop in Strava. I find it hard to believe there is a 25% grade ANYWHERE within 3 hours of here :D I could be fooled, we'll see :D

Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 9.07.51 AM.png

2. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Well-Known Member

I’d be more worried about the hole you’re going into and how carrying all the scuba gear with you might slow things down.

John_V and fpl1 like this.

3. rola643

Funny, I created that route using Strava and exported it to RWGPS and got some more REALISTIC numbers, more like I would expect to see in this area. I can believe 3.5 % grade :D Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 5.23.27 AM.png

John_V, fpl1 and Dos_Ruedas like this.
  4. Dos_Ruedas

That’s a pretty big difference. Might take a snorkel, just in case.

John_V, fpl1 and MilesR like this.
  5. Dos_Ruedas

Heading to Cleveland again.
    Among other things, I’m have a stress test with echo.
    I figure after the DVT a few weeks ago, this would be the best place to test my body before rolling out on two wheels again.

John_V, fpl1, rola643 and 2 others like this.
  6. lectrichead

lectrichead Well-Known Member

We have a couple of segments that were Strava-generated that are similar in that the grade and elevation is TOTALLY crazily off.

One is a slight hill out of a local village, Strava categorizes it as a Cat4 and shows at one point near the beginning a 46.8% grade! It's here - https://www.strava.com/segments/4864665

And then there is another that was Strava-generated, the actual stretch has a slight rolling hill and then a down hill yet Strava shows it as a Cat4 with a grade of 19% in the middle! https://www.strava.com/segments/4975470

The elevation profiles are totally wrong yet if I ride them it shows everything correctly until I click on the segment.

I tried reporting both but never any response or anything.

7. rola643

Strava does a lot of things well, this not one of them apparently.

8. rola643

We'll be waiting to hear all of the positive results!

John_V, fpl1, Dos_Ruedas and 2 others like this.
  9. rola643

My wife and I have put a TON of work in our back deck lately. We just took down old wooden balusters and installed new tubular balusters and deck rail rails. It’s been a challenge as whoever originally built the deck used a combination of 4X4s and 6X6 post and cut every one of them uneven as phuck! We’ll have to back and to the posts which is going to be yet another challenge but she’s a trooper putting up with me :) IMG_2141.jpg

John_V, Dos_Ruedas, fpl1 and 2 others like this.
  10. rola643

11. longjohn

longjohn tall old member

My twin grandsons can do it in two.

John_V, fpl1, Dos_Ruedas and 2 others like this.
  12. MilesR

MilesR Mom's Taxi Tavern Member

13. rola643

As I was using the stainless steel polish on the frig for like the 400th time this week, I don't get it - it's just me and my wife...well the granddaughter was here this past weekend, and I seem to be cleaning the black glass cooktop every flipping morning before work.

Sigh...so to the point, I was thinking if I was a rich man I'd pay to have somebody come do this weekly for me :D Yea, yea, first world problems, I hear ya :D

John_V, Dos_Ruedas, fpl1 and 2 others like this.
  14. MilesR

MilesR Mom's Taxi Tavern Member

Rola, if you had worked at McDonalds as a teen you would know how to easily clean stainless steel. First spray Zif cleaner and wipe it down. This will clean all the fingerprints and grease, but leave an ugly film. Follow that with Pearl Brite oil and you will have a beautiful shine. If done properly, all you should need to do for a couple days is buff the stainless steel.

15. rola643

I worked a grand total of.....maybe 8 hours in that "industry" and quit to deliver pizza and make BIG money :D

I worked for a small local pizza joint and hustled most nights after school. I LOVED Friday nights. After closing the owner would buy us....soda :D and we'd sit out back and "smoke" with a soda or two :D

16. maelochs

maelochs Old, fat, and slow

Rolla, if you hired some teen from McDonalds to Zif-clean and Pearl-Brite polish your kitchen, you'd see it was much easier than doing it yourself.

My wife and I have considered this option. We hate housecleaning but now and then a deep clean is needed .... and hiring someone would sort of be cost-effective, considering how my wife and I value our time.

yeah, we aren't rich, but a cost/benefit evaluation ....

17. rola643

John_V likes this.
  18. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

Unless they’re using a VPN, that IP address comes from Singapore. I think I moved one of his posts to the blogs forum.

19. rola643

I deal with the power company on some on a weekly basis in a work related capacity. Now I'm working with them on a personal level trying to get a new meter base for my little shed. They want a load letter which is fine but shezzzzz the hoops you have to jump through between county inspections, the power company deciding where the meter base will be and and getting an electrician to permit it and tie it in is ONE HUGE PITA!!

Absolute overkill for a shed. 200 amp svc is not uncommon for an entire home :D

Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 7.02.51 PM.png

John_V likes this.
  20. maelochs

maelochs Old, fat, and slow

Your first project can be a giant hand with an auto-extending middle finger which lights up and says "Screw the Local Utility Company!" let them know the effort paid off.

John_V and rola643 like this.