Two Spoke Forums banner
661 - 680 of 695 Posts

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,597 Posts
I once used a two wheel trailer to trundle propane tanks between the store and home. The trailer would take up to two 20lb tanks at a time. I had a thought then which might apply to riding a propane powered popcorn trike around on the road: any motorist who hits me is in for quite a surprise ;).

Seriously, that thing looks like fun. Still a shoe in for electrification if you're riding it far or near hills.

·
tall old member
1,482 Posts
I was thinking how much better I could see by now after last weeks cataract surgery. I must have mentioned I was having it done to over 100 people that had already had it done and everyone said I would walk out of surgery and not believe how well I could see the first day. Simple procedure with a very high success rate. And then there is me, always the problem child. I walked out of the surgery center blind in the eye they operated on. I had the surgery on Wednesday, follow up appointments on Thursday and Friday over the weekend the pain in my eye was unbearable. I finally called my surgeon down in Pittsburgh at six am on Sunday He phoned me in a new powerful
L prescription and called me back every few hours to see if I felt any better. About six at night he said he was going to drive up and pick me up and take me to the clinic to see what was going on. He checked me out and said I would need emergency surgery at seven am in Brookville. Do I have someone who can drive me? I said maybe my brother. I called him and he said he could. I had the emergency surgery to clean the blood out of my eye and the pain went from a ten down to about a three or four but I stilll can’t see anything.i have had follow up appointments every day but not much improvement. It’s really hard to type and I’m not going to make any corrections.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,597 Posts
LJ, that's straight scary! I hope your vision and pain level return to normal quickly. Hang in there.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
So, so sorry to hear this longjohn. Did you hemorrhage?

It sounds like they’re still searching for the culprit.
You’ll be in my prayers.

·
tall old member
1,482 Posts
So, so sorry to hear this longjohn. Did you hemorrhage?

It sounds like they’re still searching for the culprit.
You’ll be in my prayers.
They knew I was on Brilinta (a blood thinner) and they thought they could deal with that. They didn’t know I have leukemia, they didn’t ask. They think the low platelet count from leukemia combined with the blood thinner was the problem. It’s a shock to come out of surgery that everyone tells you to expect great results and you can’t see a thing.

·
Two skinny J's
21,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #666 ·
I need to get this last thing out of my way and get back to riding:)
Wood Floor Flooring Gas Hardwood

Wood Floor Hardwood Beam House

Brick Brickwork Wood Automotive tire Building

Wood Brickwork Flooring Floor Brick

·
Two skinny J's
21,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #668 ·

·
tall old member
1,482 Posts
Again, we need a "Dislike" or "Disapprove" button.
The good news is that while at my eye surgeon appointment today I still couldn’t see anything but he told me that my eye is safe now, it has stabilized and I am not in much danger of losing my eye. (I never realized I was in danger of losing my eye). Tonight I can see blurry images through that eye. I can make out my bike, the couch and the fish tank. I still can’t see the cat, small things don’t appear it’s like they are invisible.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,766 Posts
The good news is that while at my eye surgeon appointment today I still couldn’t see anything but he told me that my eye is safe now, it has stabilized and I am not in much danger of losing my eye. (I never realized I was in danger of losing my eye). Tonight I can see blurry images through that eye. I can make out my bike, the couch and the fish tank. I still can’t see the cat, small things don’t appear it’s like they are invisible.
Hope it keeps improving. So sorry you are dealing with this.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,766 Posts
Super frustrated. I worked 120 hours in December and my employer is short funds and won’t be able to cover the hours.
This is the problem with the European model of monthly pay. If there is a payroll issue it’s not one or two weeks work that one has to deal with not having money from. Being short a months pay but not foreseeing it just creates a huge cash flow issue.
They claim most people are a couple pay checks from being in major trouble. When a pay check is once a month… hmmm
Whatever, that’s my rare rant.

·
2,002 Posts
Super frustrated. I worked 120 hours in December and my employer is short funds and won’t be able to cover the hours.
This is the problem with the European model of monthly pay. If there is a payroll issue it’s not one or two weeks work that one has to deal with not having money from. Being short a months pay but not foreseeing it just creates a huge cash flow issue.
They claim most people are a couple pay checks from being in major trouble. When a pay check is once a month… hmmm
Whatever, that’s my rare rant.
You’re in a tough industry, and the pandemic didn’t help. Reminds me of the old bike biz saw: How do you make a million dollars in a bike shop? Start with 2 million. Hope you get paid soon.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,766 Posts
Will you eventually get paid for your time? Did you not get any pay for December? You need to put together your first book and you won’t have to rely on bike shop pay.
So no pay for December yet. I am sure I will at least get part if not all of it eventually. But a month without pay is unacceptable. I’m fine, for one I have a support system and two I have savings. It’s just the irritation of working four weeks with no money to show.

I actually spoke to my Dad today about the frustration. He basically told me to stop being stubborn and let his publisher see a bunch of my writing. I feel like that’s riding on his coattails. He tells me no one gets anywhere without help or a recommendation and assures me if the works aren’t good it won’t matter that he recommended me.

Again, my life is fine. I have food and shelter. I’m just frustrated.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,766 Posts
You’re in a tough industry, and the pandemic didn’t help. Reminds me of the old bike biz saw: How do you make a million dollars in a bike shop? Start with 2 million. Hope you get paid soon.
Exactly, I get they are struggling. I’m just frustrated. It’s my fault for taking a job that pays once a month.

·
Old, fat, and slow
1,007 Posts
A lot of people would literally pay for the chance to get recommended to a publisher. A lot get cheated trying to to get to a publisher. If you have a connection ... you won't be getting ahead because of your father's talent.

Sure, his talent will get you a chance ... but no publisher is going to publish a book based on the applicant's relationship with a published writer. Your stuff gets looked at, but if it doesn't stand on its own merit, all you will get is a look.

I like your writing. Sometimes it seems a bit over-thought, but it always carries (and stimulates) honest emotion, and it isn't cheap and simple excitement or silliness, but generally more complex feelings ... A lot of people here seem to like it was well. Why would you want to deprive others of this?

it's not like you would have to give up wrenching or riding ... you'd just have to cash a few extra checks now and then.

661 - 680 of 695 Posts