Two Spoke Forums banner
681 - 700 of 754 Posts

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,785 Posts
A lot of people would literally pay for the chance to get recommended to a publisher. A lot get cheated trying to to get to a publisher. If you have a connection ... you won't be getting ahead because of your father's talent.

Sure, his talent will get you a chance ... but no publisher is going to publish a book based on the applicant's relationship with a published writer. Your stuff gets looked at, but if it doesn't stand on its own merit, all you will get is a look.

I like your writing. Sometimes it seems a bit over-thought, but it always carries (and stimulates) honest emotion, and it isn't cheap and simple excitement or silliness, but generally more complex feelings ... A lot of people here seem to like it was well. Why would you want to deprive others of this?

it's not like you would have to give up wrenching or riding ... you'd just have to cash a few extra checks now and then.
Thanks for this post. It makes sense. I will build up a collection of short stories and let my Dad do his will with who he wants to present them to.

Also, the bike industry is always sorta a bleak one. Might as well add starving artist to my resume. kidding… well sorta.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,785 Posts
Starving artist and unemployed piano tuner. What a cobination!
Haha. Didn’t know anyone read profiles.
Years ago when I was pea sized, pigtails and nothing but smiles and happiness my Grandfather used to tell me that there is nothing as melancholy as an out of work piano tuner. I was to little to ask why or what he meant by it. Never asked as I got older always makes me smile tho.
In culture it bothers me that when nearing people they ask what one does. As if that’s who they are. I know it’s usually just small talk and really a way to connect. But I’ve since I can recall always said, “Out of work piano tuner”. Which lightens that convo by a huge amount.
I have the trifecta now. “Starving writer, out of work piano tuner and unemployed bike tech.” Hmmm… hopefully success is measured in miles on two wheels and smiles with friends. If not I’m in trouble. If not for my fly rod I’d ponder asking direction to the soup kitchen. Thankfully as long as trout swim I’ll never starve.

·
Two skinny J's
21,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #689 ·
Myself and another lineman pulled 1800 ft of 1" cable across a marsh today. It takes 30 minutes to drive from one location to the other to splice this. This was made great as we had to do it at high tide to get a skiff across the marsh to take bull rope to the other side and use a Chinese finger to pull it all back across to the other side, what a PITA. Not particularly hard but more time consuming as well as cold A.F. walking through the water while it was still 36* today.

We had to move some equipment back one pole as well which meant doing all this work on al ladder vs in the bucket since we could not get trucks close enough.

Started this at 11:30 and by the time 4:30 came around my poor feet were frozen :D

Jeans Shoe People in nature Road surface Asphalt

·
Maturity Challenged
1,168 Posts
^^^ Steel toed "lineman" boots. I bought a pair of those in the '60s for motorcycle racing. It took five minutes to lace them up.

·
2,023 Posts
Myself and another lineman pulled 1800 ft of 1" cable across a marsh today. It takes 30 minutes to drive from one location to the other to splice this. This was made great as we had to do it at high tide to get a skiff across the marsh to take bull rope to the other side and use a Chinese finger to pull it all back across to the other side, what a PITA. Not particularly hard but more time consuming as well as cold A.F. walking through the water while it was still 36* today.

We had to move some equipment back one pole as well which meant doing all this work on al ladder vs in the bucket since we could not get trucks close enough.

Started this at 11:30 and by the time 4:30 came around my poor feet were frozen :D

I kept waiting for the I had 4 pints of Guiness after part of the story.
View attachment 54196

·
Two skinny J's
21,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #692 ·
Beautiful day, my grandson was baptized today.

Hat Sun hat Headgear Cap Comfort

Hat Vestment Presbyter Bishop Musical instrument

Hat Gesture Window Presbyter Event

·
Two skinny J's
21,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #694 ·
Reactions: Merlincustom

·
Mom's Taxi
5,605 Posts
I think I was fired as a client by the CPA who does my taxes. Usually I get the worksheet he puts out by the 6th of January. I guess I need to call and find out. :unsure:

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,785 Posts
I ordered some lamps from Costco. Being a cheap person, I opted for free delivery. The anticipated delivery date is Feb. 11. If I had chosen 2 to 3 day delivery for only $32.95, the anticipated delivery date is Feb. 10. I wonder how many people fall for that?
That’s pretty funny actually. I bet a ton a do.

681 - 700 of 754 Posts