Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I'm new to the forum, but I want you weigh in your thoughts on this. I've seen a couple articles on how icing muscles after a ride or workout can be counter productive. What's your opinion on this?

Here are links to the articles I saw:

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=26720&PageNum=1

This one is from a Crossfit trainer that I stumbled upon looking for more info on the RunningTimes article. The ideas seem transferrable to cycling.
http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/08/people-weve-got-to-stop-icing-we-were-wrong-sooo-wrong.html

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
I personally only iced my knees after a hard ride. Later in the day I will stretch out my legs and soak in a hot bath or a hot tub.

My take is if you are tight then Ice wont help you as the cold will cause your muscles to contract more. Ice is more for fighting off swelling IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Let me look into it because I've answers on both sides of the fence.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Ice cold beer is all you need.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
Check out The StrengthCoach.com podcast, episode 108, about 34:00 in has a really good explanation about icing.

·
1,393 Posts
Icing is not prophylactic - it is only effective after injury and that is only to slow the process of swelling - it has no healing qualities & actually slows circulation needed to remove fluids involved with swelling - this is from a physiological take - it does make things feel better though !

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
See, and there's the rub. Reducing inflammation is one thing, hampering your body's ability to recover post workout is a whole different story.

·
1,393 Posts
Davero idea of a ice cold beer will also make you feel better & has as many healing qualities - DARK beer is also anti-inflammatory - like Guinness - not my taste but good for you !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts