Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What did you break? What did you replace it with? This is a thread for upgrades earned by wearing out stuff or breaking stuff or replacing stuff damaged by neglect, ham handed wrenching, etc.

Broken

Fixed

New pedals!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I spend a lot of time on my bike, so proper fit is important. The saddle is where it needs to be for my knee to be almost fully extended at the bottom of the pedal stroke.

·
Two skinny J's
21,195 Posts

Attachments

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I feel that the chain should be replaced be for it brakes. A simple chain checker will let you know when it should be replaced, befor it wares out the cassette and chain rings.
my ¢¢

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
This was an expensive one for me and I'll post one picture and point to a thread of "Total Depression"

http://www.twospoke.com/forum/f27/total-depression-6009/
Sad story. :( "See what happens when you buy cheap junk?" :D

I can't have nice stuff cause I'll only break it.

My 2004 Marin Mill Valley cracked at the weld two years ago.

I think it should have been replaced for free, but they made me pay $150 + $20 shipping for a 2009 'crash replacement' frame.
:)

How much did you pay for your 'crash replacement'?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I feel that the chain should be replaced be for it brakes. A simple chain checker will let you know when it should be replaced, befor it wares out the cassette and chain rings.
my ¢¢
I've replaced the chain on my new bike (one year old) three times already. The fourth chain (recently installed) is skipping a little bit. I'm going to remove a few links to see if that helps.

·
4,311 Posts
I've replaced the chain on my new bike (one year old) three times already. The fourth chain (recently installed) is skipping a little bit. I'm going to remove a few links to see if that helps.
Have you used a DAG-1 derailleur alignment tool to check if the derailer is in line with the wheel, cassette. Your local bike shop should have one. Page 127 Parktool Big blue book
\Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My hanger is not bent.

I replaced the chain frequently to decrease wear on the cogs. The cassette has lasted over a year which is a long time for me, so the frequent chain replacement worked. I have read about riders replacing their chain 5 times before their cassette was worn out, so I was hoping to get some more miles out of my stock cogset. The chain is not slack when on the small ring and the small cog, but I can remove a couple links and it will still be long enough to prevent damage if I accidentally shift to large ring/large cog. This will put a little more tension on the derailleur spring so I think it might help. Probably not, but I want to try that before replacing the cogset. The skipping is minimal, very infrequent. Probably need a new cassette though...

·
4,311 Posts
You can increase the spring tention on some rear derailers but it has to be taken apart. My setup is verry tutchy with a MNT bike rear derailer, Deore XT, and a brifter to shift it 30/39/50 and 11-34 cassette. I have 3,600 miles on this bike not a year old yet, 3rd chain. cleaned and lubed every 150 miles.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had a string of good luck and nothing broke or wore out for a while. :thumbsup: I replaced a chain since my last post in this thread, but I replace my chains before they're worn out...

I heard a bad noise when I used my rear brake sometime last year. I went on vacation the next day and rode my other bike for a week since I got back because I'm afraid to get into stuff I can't see. Rim brakes, I can look at and understand how they're put together and how they work. Hubs and bottom brackets I'm less inclined to service. I have repacked hubs, but not in the last 25 years. I like sealed hub bearings. I like cartridge style BBs. Building wheels is not intimidating, I can see what I'm doing. But removing disk brake pads was scary. Well it shouldn't have been. They popped out easily after I read the PDF. Pads completely worn off and some of the metal backing gone as well.

So far gone the clip was worn out too.

I was afraid the clip would be hard to find, but it comes with the pads. :) I had to research, love the internet. I couldn't find Tektro pads anywhere, but I think these Jagwires will fit. I bought the last two pair at the local REI today. Salesgirl said one less item to count in tonight's inventory. :D

Front pads about 1/16th inch thick. Should be replaced at 1/8".

Yeah, sort of a boring post. Sorry. Post some messed up stuff that happened to your bike. Get out there and break stuff! Thanks

·
Registered
415 Posts
This 2006 Team frame was sent to Raleigh and was found to have a BB crack.

They replaced it with this 2010 Team SL frame.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I got a dismal amount of use from some Avid pads, which destroyed my custom titanium rotors. They let their pending demise be known by flying out of the caliper after seizing up. Not pretty.

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
My Dakar XLT frame developed a crack in the seat tube/top tube weld area, the seatpost was audibly/visibly moving. Jamis told me to take it to an authorized dealer; okay, fine -- dealer is 110 miles away, and I'm car-free. Plus, the XLT is at least 4 years out of production. So I bought a different frame -- it BROKE in the same place in eight months! Got a refund on THAT one. I cobbled the XLT back together, using it for cold-weather commuting until I can get a new frame.

Over the last decade, I've split three rims; all were back wheels. Two of the fronts were recycled to family members' bikes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts