Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you go with?

I'm thinking street luge.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AiN7mHp1eY]YouTube - Street Luge in San Fransisco - USA[/ame]

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
I would go back and resume ultralight flying, I really miss it, but it's too expensive and where I live now too limited in airspace. Or maybe parachuting. Or maybe just play chess and forget about a true sport since I really like cycling and would miss it too much. But more then likely I would probably resume more training on Aikido to remain physically active.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would go back and resume ultralight flying, I really miss it, but it's too expensive and where I live now too limited in airspace. Or maybe parachuting. Or maybe just play chess and forget about a true sport since I really like cycling and would miss it too much. But more then likely I would probably resume more training on Aikido to remain physically active.
I thought ultralites didn't need airspace?

Aikido is pretty Rad. How long have you been training?

·
Biking With a Mission
159 Posts
haha... If I didn't have a family I'd say MMA. Biking keeps the face a little more intact. Anything that releases the pent up feeling of wanting to scream after 8/9 hours locked in a cubicle all week. (If I walk to the other side of the floor I can look out a window!)

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
I thought ultralites didn't need airspace?

Aikido is pretty Rad. How long have you been training?
About 30 years...but there are no Aikido classes here in Fort Wayne, IN. and I'm too busy to start one, so I haven't trained for about 7 years since moving here. So after 30 years I had a (sho)Dan (black belt in other arts) with gold threaded markers to signify levels, but those levels are not traditionally on a Dan the markers are just more for motivation. My longest trainer of 18 years was actually a personal friend of mine high Dan rated in Aikido and Judo, and we use to train at each other's homes with no ceremonial thing.

If you have a Aikido class in your town and you have the time and money by all means take the class. I think, though I am bias, it's the best martial art. It's less strenuous on you, and your using the other persons energy against themselves instead of expending your own against them. It does take longer to learn, but it's far more effective.

Edited due to length and boredom of reading it all!

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
Aikodo is Japanese Judo right? I read something on it not to long ago, they used it as a tool for preserving the samurai class. An inside art I believe they called it.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Aikodo is Japanese Judo right? I read something on it not to long ago, they used it as a tool for preserving the samurai class. An inside art I believe they called it.
Kind of, but there are differences in that Aikido incorporates Judo, Kendo and various Jujutsu forms. I also learned stick fighting but not sword since I could find a stick on the ground but not a sword, and guns kind of make swords obsolete thus I own guns not swords.

Samurai culture was more on the Kendo side though Aikido was "created" in the late 1920's using aspects of that so the samurai link is there, but I'm not sure about Aikido preserving the samurai culture...but look, I didn't get into all the historical aspects of the art nor cared about being a "samurai ". Kind of like cycling, I've cycled for over 45 years and raced for 10 years and don't have much of a clue about the history of cycling other then what I've read sporadically here and there on the internet. I do know that the samurai teachings are still around today but I don't subscribe to it nor did I get into the religion of it which is tied in with the samurai culture. I'm not a Buddhist, nor a Zen philosopher, never read Confucius or Shinto nor have any interest in reading those, and don't believe in reincarnation, my beliefs are Christian.

I guess if you want more of a historical view you should e-mail Steven Seagal, I understand he is very much into the history and religious aspects of the art. I understand he will respond back if the e-mail subject line is Aikido history.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
haha... If I didn't have a family I'd say MMA. Biking keeps the face a little more intact. Anything that releases the pent up feeling of wanting to scream after 8/9 hours locked in a cubicle all week. (If I walk to the other side of the floor I can look out a window!)
I feel your pain. I gave up my desk with the 6x12 window because it's just too cold in the mornings. I can still see the window from my new location though. I have a photo on my desk of Rebecca Rusch - she wrote on it "Brian, Don't forget to see the sun once in a while". Kind of a joke here in Utah, where winter lasts five months.

·
Two skinny J's
21,181 Posts
Softball for old timers :) I could not hit a good fastball in baseball anymore..

·
Two skinny J's
21,181 Posts
1 - 20 of 73 Posts