Illegal ban for cyclist on highway 78

Discussion in 'Alabama Bike Forum' started by zerodish, Apr 21, 2015.

1. zerodish

zerodish New Member

There is a 2 mile section of highway 78 in St Claire county where interstate 20 has been built over the top of it. I was illegally pulled over by a deputy sheriff and told cycling on the interstate is illegal in Alabama. I sent three laws to the state attorney. Title 23 United states code 109m. Protection of Nonmotorized Transportation Traffic. --The Secretary shall not approve any project or take any regulatory action under this title that will result in the severance of an existing major route or have significant adverse impact on the safety for nonmotorized transportation traffic and light motorcycles, unless such project or regulatory action provides for a reasonable alternate route or such a route exists. Federal law also states non motorized traffic can not banned from an interstate or toll road until it is posted at every entrance to that road. A recent ruling by a federal judge that preventing horses and wagons from the use of public roads is a violation of the religious freedom clause of the united states constitution. The state attorney has not answered my email. The state highway department has not answered my email. St Claire county has not answered my email. I will keep you posted here on the case. If you can I would like a report of the road conditions in the county. I can prove in general that all the highway departments are ignoring DOT and ADA law.

2. newleaf150

newleaf150 Deranged Touring Cyclist Tavern Member

Best of luck fighting that ticket, Zerodish! Please keep us updated.