Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
The fines should only be a concern to those that break the law, so I see no problem with this.

“The riders don’t have the money to pay the fines,” said the manager, who only gave his last name Chen. “They won’t buy the bikes.”

·
Banned
613 Posts
Borough of Queens - Bureaucratic Numbskullery

The Borough of Queens bowed to the pressure (of some vocal minority?), and passed a local ordinance, limiting ebike speed to 15mph. (Down from the federal 20mph.)
Effectively, this doubled the hazard, for them, to be riding on the street!
See - Bicycle Safety - The Math of Speed.

Apparently, this was enough justification, for many, to start riding on sidewalks!

Now, with typical Bureaucratic Numbskullery, the Borough of Queens is looking to compound their mistake by enacting increased fines, specifically for ebikes.
The 2 "problems", mentioned in the article, were ebikes on sidewalks and passing through stop signs, both of which are illegal, for all bikes ... so what is the problem?

Repeal the ordinance!
Don't compound your stupidity!

Even better ...

Just increase the ebike legal speed to 30mph, so ebikers can blend safely with traffic ... on the street!
and
Enforce the present traffic laws regarding "passed" stop signs! :cool:

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
Just increase the ebike legal speed to 30mph, so ebikers can blend safely with traffic ... on the street!
and
Enforce the present traffic laws regarding "passed" stop signs! :cool:
Seems reasonable enough. As long as these 30MPH electric bicycles are registered and insured as motor vehicles, and the operator has a license.

·
Registered
461 Posts
WTF next>...must have a license to go jogging around town?? or even walking??

·
1,084 Posts
WTF next>...must have a license to go jogging around town?? or even walking??

here in MD, the law requires if it can go 35mph or more via an engine or motor, it's a licensed vehicle just like a scooter or motorcycle, which require the owner register it, and have a correct operator's license.

·
Banned
613 Posts
Stop the Madness!

The Borough of Queens bowed to the pressure (of some vocal minority?), and passed a local ordinance, limiting ebike speed to 15mph. (Down from the federal 20mph.)
Effectively, this doubled the hazard, for them, to be riding on the street!
See - Bicycle Safety - The Math of Speed.

Apparently, this was enough justification, for many, to start riding on sidewalks!

Now, with typical Bureaucratic Numbskullery, the Borough of Queens is looking to compound their mistake by enacting increased fines, specifically for ebikes.
The 2 "problems", mentioned in the article, were ebikes on sidewalks and passing through stop signs, both of which are illegal, for all bikes ... so what is the problem?

Repeal the ordinance!
Don't compound your stupidity!
:cool:
Next?
Their next "logical" step will be to put a 15mph speed limit on all bicycles.
Then ...
Runners!
Then...
Joggers?
Then ... of course! All citizens will be required to carry picture IDs, at all times ... so they can be reliably ticketed.

·
16 Posts
Thats no good, i think e bike riders should have better bike paths and space to ride in. The reason e bike riders may have to go onto footpaths and pedestrians is only because there is no where else to ride, and it can be dangerous riding on some of these roads, with too many cars zipping around. Would be great to extend and widen bike paths.

·
Registered
201 Posts
thank god I don't live in new york I was there after the terror attack in 2001 I was a first responder from Illinois at the time those people up there are some hateful sob's I got a gas bike I know it is illeagel there but I can ride it in almost every other state I want to get around on a e bike in ny you need to ghost pedal and kill the motor around cops that's all then ride in the bike lanes and on paths but be sure you ghost peddle

·
Registered
927 Posts
thank god I don't live in new york I was there after the terror attack in 2002 I was a first responder from Illinois at the time those people up there are some hateful sob's I got a gas bike I know it is illeagel there but I can ride it in almost every other state I want to get around on a e bike in ny you need to ghost pedal and kill the motor around cops that's all then ride in the bike lanes and on paths but be sure you ghost peddle
That's the attitude we should all have!
That's what I'm talking about!

Only follow the laws and rules that we want to!
Who cares what "the man" says we can and can't do!
We should be able to do whatever we want, because we want to!

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
That's the attitude we should all have!
That's what I'm talking about!

Only follow the laws and rules that we want to!
Who cares what "the man" says we can and can't do!
We should be able to do whatever we want, because we want to!
I think he rode that bike from Illinois to NY, which is why he was a "first responder" that showed up the following year.

·
Registered
927 Posts
That must have been quite a ride!
yeah, I saw that it took him months to get there... probably because he had to stop a lot to recharge the batteries on his E-bike.
I'm not sure if that still falls under the category "first responder"

·
Registered
201 Posts
Not quite hack. I was a firefighter in cairo and we were there rite after the terror attack. Anyway I rode the tractor trailer we used to haul our equipment on .and jahwarrior yeah were the ones whining about the laws in ny on e bikes if you own one. I was making a suggestion to ghost pedal on the bike paths and on the streets near cops so u wont get ticketed for having them. Even though federal law says they are leagal as long as they don't exceed 18 mph. And where are you getting the idea I rode my ebike to ny I don't even own a e bike I own a gas bike and I sure didn't ride it that far either...

·
Registered
201 Posts
hell I didn't re read my post I cant believe I put 2002 dam I guess old age is catching up with me it sucks I sorry thought I put the rite date. But guess not

1 - 18 of 18 Posts