Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Paved Trail Enthusiast
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A state trail pass is required for all people biking, in-line skating, horseback riding, cross-country skiing, or off-highway motorcycling on certain trails (16 years and older). A state trail pass is not required for walking or hiking. A state trail pass is issued to the person, not the bike, horse, motorcycle, etc. It is non-transferable, meaning the pass cannot be passed from person to person or shared with others. The state trail pass must be filled out to be valid. A sticker is required if you park or take your motor vehicle within the boundaries of a state park, forest or recreation area.

So even though tax dollars build all the trails, etc, the state of Wisconsin still takes more money from hard working citizens. It's not the amount of money. It's the principle. That is just wrong.

·
Two skinny J's
21,352 Posts
I'm not sure of the relationship between (V)DOT -VDOT Virginia Capital Trail and the and the Virginia Capital Trail Foundation but according to Wikipedia Virginia Capital Trail Foundation (VCTF) is a public-private partnership whose mission is to support and promote the construction, public use and ongoing enhancement of the Virginia Capital Trail. The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT), a state agency, describes their relationship as "working partners on this unique project."

All of which to say I would HATE to have to pay for access to this! My wife and I have ridden sections of this Starting in the Historic Jamestown Settlement visitor center as well as participated several times in the Cap2Cap ride to support the trail!
Wiki Virginia Capital Trail

In this case it was/is being built by VDOT so they already have tax money and I don't need to pay anymore to watch 12 people stand around and watch one work :D

·
Paved Trail Enthusiast
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't think I was alone in my accessment of bad government policy rola. Imagine what life would be like if people just rolled over and took it all the time? Personally I am not a sheeple.

·
1,084 Posts
honestly, it kind of makes sense to me. some states (CT & MA) charged admittance fees to park visitors based on vehicle, so why not charge for trail use? figure everyone pays to have the thing made available, and those that use it pay to maintain it.

no different than toll roads for cars. the state/feds pay to make them, the actual users pay to maintain them (or at least partly pay)

·
Banned
430 Posts
Texas state parks often charge $5 per car for entry fee, and sometimes a camping overnight fee. They sometimes allow fishing without licenses as a perk for buying the park pass for the day. I am happy when any trail use fees or park fees are free or minimal.

Just be glad they don't have speed radar cops on the mountain bike trails, nailing anyone who goes over 20mph (not joking). http://forums.mtbr.com/colorado-front-range/speeding-tickets-bikes-lookout-625661.html

·
Paved Trail Enthusiast
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Florida charges too for state park fees. And Tampa charges $2 to park at the Upper Tampa Bay Trail. Where there are facilities. But they have a no-fee section also. However isn't there more involved in maintaining a state park over a trail?

·
1,084 Posts
Florida charges too for state park fees. And Tampa charges $2 to park at the Upper Tampa Bay Trail. Where there are facilities. But they have a no-fee section also. However isn't there more involved in maintaining a state park over a trail?

depends.

state park you're paying for a ranger and maintenance of any facilities.

trail; you're paying for a ranger and maintenance of the trail and any facilities.

Either way, think of it as a toll 'road' at that point.

you're paying to travel on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts