Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a mountain bike last fall and I loved it. I just bought it to ride to school and stuff and it served it's purpose. Start of June I moved and 2 weeks later my bike was stolen. So Recently, very recently, I found a new bike. An older schwinn road bike that I instantly fell in love with. I have no idea what model it is or what year it was made or whatever, the owner didn't even know. I purchased it from craigslist for 60$. It seems hard to find a cheap bike my size let alone a road bike! (It has 24" tires). I was able to ride it twice to work before running over a thumb tack. Fail.

I bought a patch kit and patched the tube but it still went flat. So I bought a new tube and now it's too big. It seems to have 1 3/8th sized tubes and not the regular ones. I don't have a lot of money to invest in my bicycle right now as I am being forced to move yet again, this time home with my parents, so I'm really frustrated and beginning to think this was a bad investment.

I'm thinking about just buying new tires and rims so they're the correct size for, well, life it seems. I don't have time to run to a local bike store and search for 1 3/8th tubes and really can't anyways because everytime I take the tire off the rim it falls apart bit by bit so it's obviously time for new tires.

Is it possible to switch rims on a bike without screwing it all up? I wish I knew more about my bike or had pictures of it. I'm just really frustrated because life keeps throwing me curve balls and this is my one get away at the moment and it's just stressing me out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
First of all I feel your pain, but take heart. First of all IF it was a thumb tack, the tube should be repairable. If you used one of those self stick patches, those are at best a get you home till you can fix it. Get a patch kit with actual glue and vulcanized rubber type of patches. Those will last assuming that it hasn't dry rotted. Most tubes are sold in to cover the range of tire widths. A tube might be boxed to fit tires from say 1.5 to 2.2 but its a range not a single size. Patching it should work till you deal with the bad news.

Now for the bad news. Schwinn in years past had a system of tires called the "fractional" tire. This is where it gets confusing. If you look on the tire, most tires will have a size like 1.5. The fractional tire however doesn't do that. You look on the side of that type of tire and it will read 1 1/2. Here is the crazy part. They ARE NOT the same size tire. A 1.5 tire I don't believe will go on a wheel designed for 1 1/2. I know the measurement is the same, but the tire isn't.

Fractional tires these days are pretty rare. Your local bike shop may have to order them. They are still available, but probably not the item you can just run in and find at every bike store. They are old enough now that the local bike store rep might not have ever heard of them. Yet if the tire size is in the form of a fraction, that could very easily be part of your issue.

Fix the flat and if the tires are still safe for a short time, go ride for some stress relief. Then order you a set of tires.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts