I'm new... how bout you.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Mike1jw, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

Hi everybody! I'm from Jersey, so let's get that out of the way. No bashing, please.

I moved from the city to the suburbs about three years ago. I ride a 20 year old Giant, Sedona, mountain bike. I used to transport it from the city to a canal path and ride with my wife and kids, but now that I'm on my own, I started to ride on the road, doing about 25 miles with the orginal knobby tires. After I got a flat in the back (since the tire was bald) I switched over to road tires. Cycling has bit me. I'm looking into a road bike (not sure yet if I'm going to get one through BikesDirect.com or a local shop) and I have a ton of questions.

Just bought first pair of shoes and pedals (Bontrager shoes and Speedplay frog pedals) I know, I should have bought road pedals, but I wanted a walkable shoe and a pedal thats ez to get out of.

Anyway, this could be the start of a new passion.

Peace,
    Mike

2. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Good to have anouther Joiseyin on here. I am down here in the swamp in south Joisey

3. jobrien

jobrien New Member

Welcome from another NJ'ite.

I'm in Monroe Township, just moved here from Fords (Woodbridge Twsp). Haven't been biking in a while, but want to get started again.

John

4. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

I used to live in Islen, now I'm in East Windsor

5. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

In addition to the pics. could you tell me more about the bike, frame size or how tall you are type of shifters and components, how much usage it's gotten on it, and the overall condition.

6. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Welcome! Glad you joined.

7. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

8. wild

This may not be the place but maybe one of you north Jerseyins could help me. I have a trip I want to take and was thinking RT 287 to RT 87 to Troy ny. How is RT 287 and can I get on it from the NJ turn pike Exit 10 I think. I don't get out of the swamp much.

9. jobrien

jobrien New Member

287 is a good road. Traffic moves pretty good most of the time.

The other option would be the Garden State Pkwy up to the end.

You're driving and not biking I hope:rolleyes:

John

10. wild

Thanks
    exit 10 off the NJ turnpike yes no

11. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

welcome, glad to see ya.

12. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

Yes exit 10 but it's not the best way to go.

The parkway would be better if you live on the east side of Jersey. If you live on the the west side of Jersey, the best way to I-87 is as follows; Turnpike to exit 18 (the end, you can only go 80 east or 80 west) Take 80 West (LOCAL LANES) in about 2 mi., take 17 north to to 87. That's the most direct route. 287 is taking a long unnessary loop though Morristown.

13. jobrien

jobrien New Member

Mike;

Sorry about the delay in answering your question. The frame measures 33" from the floor to the top of the frame. I am 6' (may be shrinking a little)

I posted a few pictures under my profile.

John