Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Paved Trail Enthusiast
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is now open. The Legacy Trail Pedestrian Overpass project began on 3-28-11 and is finished. The Mediterranean-style overpass, a $3.1 million project, was built with federal stimulus funds approved in 2009. The bridge is 12 feet wide, 18 feet tall and 900 feet long. See more photos on my website: http://www.trailviewmount.com

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Seeing TrailViewMount's photos got me thinking there should be a general thread showing off the impressive infrastructure being devoted to bike trails and paths. And instead of hijacking his thread, I thought I'd start this one. Let's see some pics. I'm going to copy from the original thread (see two posts above) that TrailViewMount started about the Legacy Trail Overpass here too.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Big Dam Bridge in Little Rock.

Comprising 4,226 linear feet, the bridge over the Corps of Engineers' Murray Lock and Dam is the longest bridge built specifically for pedestrians and bicyclists in the world (the longest in the United States is the Chain of Rocks Bridge on the north edge of St. Louis, Missouri at 5,350 linear feet, but it was originally a highway bridge).

Some of the more impressive design aspects of the Big Dam Bridge include girders that curve up to a 82.3 meter radius and a substructure designed to withstand winds up to 160.93 kmph. Built with a 14-foot-wide deck, the bridge is capable of handling pedestrian and bicycle traffic and it was also built with gentle slopes to assure compliance with Uniform Federal Accessibility Standards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts