Impulse buy at LBS. What was yours?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by wallydude, Jun 23, 2010.

1. wallydude

wallydude New Member

Recently, while at my LBS in Fayetteville, NC, to have a noise checked out on my C'dale Rush, I bought my my wife a new mountain bike. A Cannondale F5 to be exact. I didn't really expect to leave there almost $900 poorer (Bike plus a couple little things) but it happened and I didn't know what to expect from my wife in terms of her reaction. Luckily, it went really well and she likes the bike a lot. The bike I replaced is a early 1990s Specialized Rockhopper we bought new in Salinas, CA. It is still in very good condition but it is a rigid and the geometry just doesn't look right for today...she also didn't look very comfortable on it which is why I think it took me a lot of convincing to get her to ride.

Anyway, I'm glad it worked out for her and I. So, now, I wonder what other folks leave their LBSs with when going for something minor.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

One of the few non-custom bikes I've owned was my Trek 1200. Not sure why I wanted it, but it probably had something to do with the larger aluminum tubing and aero wheels.

3. wallydude

wallydude New Member

Yeah, custom bikes are surely not impulse buys. I, too, like the larger tubing which is why I probably gravitated towards Cannondale products 20+ years ago.

4. Industry_Hack

Haha. I hated the OS tubing, because I hated aluminum.

5. wallydude

wallydude New Member

You know, now that you say that, I like the feel of my wife's ancient Rockhopper and the first mountain (Schwinn Woodlands) bike I ever bought as both are/were chromoly. I thought the Schwinn was absolutely awesome until I rode my friend's Cannondale. On and off I have contemplated getting a steel bike again, but the wife picks on me about having too many bikes already. Two?

6. Hardtail

Hardtail Ridin Dirty

Impluse was the past week: XT crank/BB, XTR front derail, XT rear derail, XT chain, LX cass all to switch over to 9 spd. Not to mention the 2010 Azonic Outlaw wheelset and Juicy 3s, and Panaracer Fire XCs last week.

7. wallydude

wallydude New Member

Nice! I'm going to wait for my components to break before I get new but by then I probably should just buy en entire bike again. I have, however, been wanting a new wheelset for my Rush. Since it has a Lefty, it's a little more difficult than I like.

BTW Was stationed at the Hump years ago.

8. Hardtail

Hardtail Ridin Dirty

Yeah the Hump is going through a major transition right now, 2ID and everything in Seoul will be moved here in the next 4 years!

Yeah with all of the mud and trails, the factory Shimano crap is not cutting the turkey for me. Everything altogether retail would have been about $1400, but I managed some killer deals......everything listed with odds and ends for a hair over $700 w/ shipping to Korea!

9. Roadster

Roadster New Member

2 impulse buys. First: went into a bike shop to buy a Specialized Body Geometry seat. Walked out with the bike it happened to be attached to. Second: went into a bike shop to buy an upright handlebar for my hybrid. Allowed the shop to talk me into buying a road bike: "We can get you into any desired position on a road bike." They forgot to mention the contortions we would have to go through to get that position, like a teeny little frame with a stem extender about a foot high. Never worked for me. Finally I sat down and thought through exactly what I wanted and got the bike I should have ordered long ago. Live and learn. Thank God for craigslist resales.

10. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

2002 Bianchi DISS. My full squish bike was in the shop with a busted rear suspension. After a month of waiting, I couldn't take being bikeless any longer. I coughed up eight hundred beans and was a happy camper once again.:)

11. bankchick

bankchick New Member

My impulse buy...a fixie...Charge Griffin to be exact. Did I need it--"no" Do I love it--"yes"

12. djcyberlegend

djcyberlegend Group rookie

Haven't had one yet. I get what I need and skedaddle.

13. Industry_Hack

Hey, is this your kid?

[​IMG]

14. djcyberlegend

djcyberlegend Group rookie

Nope - if you remember the ending of this thread, I have no offspring.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  15. Industry_Hack

I didn't read the end of that thread until just now. :(

Someday, you will have a mini-me, and that's what he'll look like.

16. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

A couple times, I went to the LBS for other things (tubes, gels, etc.), and walked out with BG saddles.

They both managed to get mangled; one, under my destructive, now-18-y-o nephew, the other... well, I THINK it was that damned raccoon that has tried to claim my garage.

17. retromike7

retromike7 old dude riding

impulse buy

The first "real" road bike I got was a hand-built used Jeffry Butler:love: I got that at Action Sports a long, long time ago I think it was a impulse buy but it took me months to pay it off while it hung in the store. It was all Campy and it had sew-ups and in comparison to the P.O.S. I was used to riding it was unbelievable.(still have the crank)

Mike