1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
If it hasn't been abused, it's a good start for a stout build. As long as the fork and shock don't need a service, and the wheels are in good shape, looks like you'll just need some cranks and to sort out the missing drivetrain parts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, if you could guess, how much do you think the additional parts would cost that i need, like the cranks and the missing drivetrain parts.

·
FreerideLife
77 Posts
My guess would be $300-800.
lol, thats like comcast. I'll be there at noon to 6pm. Yea...

Ok first woogy, since it's a dh bike, there are things to look for. Things which industry hack didn't point out because well, hes not a downhiller (not a put down...).

You need to pull all the pivot points apart, clean, inspect etc any bushings, rusted bolts etc. If there are bearings, you will want to pull each bearing, and clean. You clean by pulling a side cover off, and using something such as wd40 to clean them out. You can either pack with phil wood grease, or you can use teflon like triflow. (bones bearing lube for high end skateboard bearings works awsome also).

Inspect all points of welds since it's a used frame, obviously with some good trail time on it. DH frames get fractures over time. (Especially rears).

going off the pictures your rear brake is mounted wrong.

Also, a good word of advice... sell that shock. And sell it NOW. Go get a fox or x fusion. You will end up having to rebuild that pos on a regular basis. It's a known issue. Even PUSH ind says there is no real fix. Heck, they said even their top end overhaul probably won't fix the issue. (I have one on my tomac. Well, right now it's sitting on my desk. It's been rebuilt half a dozen times so far from blown seals. ouch.

As for cranks. All depends on what you want. I'd just go get a decent set of raceface or fsa cranks with outboard bearings and you will be set. Gamut chain guards are among the lightest and simplest, but there are also e13 and mrp and others that are pretty solid.

You can have that bike rideable for less than 300 bucks, and just just replace parts as you find you dislike them. IE bars etc.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
Ok first woogy, since it's a dh bike, there are things to look for. Things which industry hack didn't point out because well, hes not a downhiller (not a put down...).
He'd asked about a couple of other bikes already, so it wasn't yet time to go into that much detail. Your post was full of great info, and would have been more useful for him if he hadn't already found another bike. :p

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info Echihn, but I just bought a Gary Fisher Sugar 3 today so hopefully I will enjoy it, from the reviews I have read it seems to be a very good bike. The guys at the local bike store said for the money it's a steal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts