Inexpensive Road Bicycle, Under $300

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by eBike, Oct 20, 2009.

1. eBike

eBike Guest

Does anyone know where I can get a good roadbike for under $300? What is the typical price range on them and is it worth it to get a used one?

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

You're very limited as far as new bikes go, at that price point. Check BikesDirect for two at that price. Performance and WheelWorld may also have something in that range, but you'll probably do better looking for a decent used bike.

3. chh55

chh55 Drink plenty of water!!!

used! even used at that price could be dicey but new? forget it! anything at that price would be junk from day one.

4. djcyberlegend

djcyberlegend Group rookie

Craigslist. I got mine through there - used - for only $150. Just make sure you do plenty of due diligence and give it a good thorough inspection before you plunk down the dough.

* EDIT *
    You might also want to check out some rental shops in your area, some will sell their rentals at the end of the season at discounted prices.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  5. bohunker

bohunker Guest

I bought my 9 year old a bike from SportyMamaBikes.com. So far so good, not a problem. Since I bought two bikes this year for my two boys (one of craigslist) there was no way I could get two bikes from the LBS. I got two bikes for around 400.00 each, where the LBS I could not have even gotten one for the price I paid for two.

6. Industry_Hack

I think that's part of BikesDirect.

7. gatorguy

gatorguy New Member

I bought a Dura-ace/105 Miyata 1400 (1989) off CL a couple weeks ago for a really good price and I'm liking it more than my new CF bike. You can find some real diamonds in the rough there.
    When you go to see the bikes, go armed with knowledge of how to check for bearing issues, look for frame damage, etc.

The first bike I purchased from CL looked great but had a bad bottom bracket that I failed to notice (I should have because it was evident) and it was frozen into the frame. No amount of heating/chemicals would free it up, we even broke a bench vise trying to break it loose. Had to scrap the frame. I felt pretty stupid.

8. gatorguy

gatorguy New Member

deleted text due to duplication

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  9. gatorguy

gatorguy New Member

That would be interesting because she makes a big deal out of how she started the business. But she's certainly Motobecane heavy in her product line up - similar to BD. I've read that some people believe BD owns the Motobecane, Winsor and Dawes names.

10. Industry_Hack

BD does own them, or at least Motobecane.