Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
2,023 Posts
Alas, it was me that Rola had in mind with this thread. I passed out on a ride on March 8 and ran into a parked car. I broke my right ankle, four right ribs, and right scapula. I needed a pin in the ankle and I can weight bear with a left crutch and a walking boot but my ribs and scapula fracture have me in a sling with no use of my right arm for a few weeks. Ironically the ankle injury would not have required surgery had I been able to use crutches on both arms for about three weeks to allow it to heal on its own, but my right arm is useless. I am impressed with the current surgical state of the art that allows me to weight bear with a walking boot just one day after having two pins placed in my ankle. The orthopedic stuff is no big deal and in about 16 weeks I’m good to go on that front. More concerning is why I passed out and I am having a cardiac work up to determine that but so far my cardiologist says they haven’t found anything yet. I will need to wear a heart monitor for three weeks and then undergo a chemical stress test. I’m hoping they find something that is fixable because quite frankly in the absence of them finding a cause for this I am petrified to ride my bike outside again. Always something.

·
2,023 Posts
Are you riding alone?

I’m was just thinking about your accident and wondered how long you laid there before someone helped.

That was a big crash. You must have been rolling pretty well and sadly probably went straight into the vehicle.

I would have thought the ankle would have been the most trouble. That or the ribs when watching comedies.

Follow Drs / PT order and get well soon.
Don’t forget the benefit of just getting outside in the sun now and again.
I was alone that day, but I usually ride with others. I have a road ID, and the website says that paramedics assessed it at 6:36 AM, so it was likely less than 10 minutes that I was on the street. A witness told paramedics I just ran into the side of a parked car. The biggest problem I have right now is that my shoulder is a little frozen and I am working on that in physical therapy. The advice for sunshine is good because bones heal better with vitamin D, apart from the psychological benefits of course.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts