Input on Aero Bars

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by itself, May 13, 2010.

1. itself

itself New Member

As I have been going to PT lately, I got on a stationary bike with Aero bars on it. I was absolutely shocked what a comfortable position this is!

I considering re-entering the road bike realm, as I have been riding recumbent since back surgery six years ago.

In what riding situations can Aero bars be safely used? I imagine downhills would not be recommended, and that they are probably used on flats mostly???

I realize that bike fit is very important. How do you like your Aero bars, and is it a position you find relaxing for your back?

Thanks

Lisa

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

When I used them, I ran a third brake lever up on the front. This allowed me to scrub off a bit of speed on downhill runs. A good aero tuck going down hills makes for scary high speeds, the kind where you don't dare move your hands towards the brake levers.

On flats, you can really fly too. I never found them to restrict my chest, and as you are aware from the link you posted in another thread, you can experience less fatigue with them. The downside for me was that it was harder to keep an eye on traffic, and the steering was a bit sketchy.

3. anthonylimoman

anthonylimoman New Member

i want to buy a set of aero bars anyone have any input on the type or brand they like the best?? i am entered in a triathlon next month and i think they will help my split

4. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

You need to go to your LBS and try some out. Personal preference.