iphone mounts

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by vitapimp, Oct 8, 2009.

1. vitapimp

vitapimp New Member

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

3. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I got a friend who has used one. His phone has fallen off three times on the road. Actually he's on his second one now. His phone fell off the first one twice and has fallen off the second on once. His phone cover has luckily saved major damage. I need to find out which ones he's used so as to tell you to steer clear of those.

4. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Actually there's lots of cool i-phone apps coming out that would make one want to mount the phone on the bars and make a dedicated cycling computer redundant. I don't have one (work decided we need Blackberry's), but someone could probably start a thread on here about the apps they use for cycling.

5. Industry_Hack

Is there still any interest in this topic? I just got two phone mounts in the mail - one generic, and one iPhone specific.

6. omnivox42

omnivox42 New Member Tavern Member

I carry my phone in my jersey pocket. One could easily use an iphone or Android phone for a cycle computer. Saw a mount at the LBS the other day, but didn't catch the name. Yay for Omni being useless.

7. davereo

davereo Well-Known Member Tavern Member

I have tried using bar mounts for my Iphone and the GPS tracking tends to interfere with my wireless cateye. My jersey pocket works great.

8. CaptainHowdy

CaptainHowdy Member

Ha, I use the Otter Box. Zip tied the belt clip to the stem extension, works great.

image-2866126584.jpg

I may upgrade on the new bike, but this has worked just fine so far.

9. cderalow

cderalow Senior Member

I've got e topeak ride case 4. Works great.

10. bikertank

bikertank Senior Member

I have the IPhone Garmin app - only 99 cents - use it in my pocket or in the bike bag - not very accurate - use it to map my ride only & count calories - by itself does not stop when the bike does - can spend another hundred or two on attachments to make it act like a more full fledged Garmen speedo - cadence - power etc - also allows me to edit & transfer every ride to the Garmin website - have a dedicated speedo for accurate details of the ride

Also - runs out of battery power VERY fast - ran out of power on my 60 mile ride yesterday

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  11. kneedrachen

kneedrachen Moderator Mod Team Tavern Member

I'll try the mounts.

12. Industry_Hack

Do you have an iPhone?

13. kneedrachen

kneedrachen Moderator Mod Team Tavern Member

I will in a few days, currently running a blackberry bold

14. Industry_Hack

15. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Well-Known Member

I use iPhone with two apps. for biking. (Endomondo = since the National Challenge and .....hum, I just looked. I must have determined the other wasn't working well & deleted it).
    Also bike computer, because I believe they are much more accurate than the current apps.
    I carry the phone in my pocket.
    Without my bike computer, the "in the pocket" method wouldn't serve me as well, because I need to see my average & current speed to determine if I'm a slacker on a given ride. ;)

16. cderalow

cderalow Senior Member

iPhone 4 specific mounts can be sent my way for 'testing'

though I really like the Topeak since it mounts to the steerer cap.

17. omnivox42

omnivox42 New Member Tavern Member

I can test an iPhone 5 mount :)

18. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

The Chinese one that I got from eBay seems to work OK. However, the watertight lid tends to pop open when you hit a decent bump. The latches really suck. I have to put a rubber-band around it to keep it from popping open. I should have known better since it was only $16.00 (with shipping). I guess I'm back on the iPhone bike mount market.

19. Industry_Hack

If Alex becomes a fanboy, he can review the iPhone mount. I'll be reviewing the generic mount on the Cannondale commuta-beast.