Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering an iPod Touch, and want to know what other cycling-minded geeks find useful about theirs. I already have an old school iPod in my car that I rarely use, and a sweet MP3/video player that I use for travel and interviews, since it has a mic. So it's all about the apps, as I'm not really interested in games, music, or video.

Who's got one, (or an iPhone) and what do they find it useful for?

·
Registered
73 Posts
iphone

hey whats up
I guess i qualify for the in house geek. I think you should be looking for an iphone and not an iPod Touch. the touch doesn't have a build in GPS so you are not going to be able to use most of the cool bike apps. I am currently using the NEW G4 iphone and i got to tell you the bike gps work a lot better with this new phone.

·
retromike3
274 Posts
I just got an app for my Iphone, looks cool

The app I got for my Iphone uses the GPS to give me the worlds most expensive bicycle computer. It maps out my route with the GPS and tells me how much altitude I have taken, plus all of the rest of the standard data. I just got done ordering a Iphone handlebar mount so I can leave it outside the store and get it stolen like my Night Sun light kit did last year.(sigh)

Mike

·
retromike3
274 Posts
true

True I do have a app for gearing and I am looking for the one for frame building, but at two hundred dollars and sixty bucks a month its got to be if not the most expensive its up there in the top ten. Maybe there is a platinum/ diamond studded one made for royalty but after a wile I will end up putting a lot of bucks down on this toy.

In fact I know it cost more than my first fixed gear bike I put together(I called it Team Cheap) steel 700c wheels and a cottered crank.

Mike

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use an ipod touch app called "Cycling log". Has all the normal stats as well as the ability to email it as a spreadsheet to my pc when I get done with a ride.

·
retromike3
274 Posts
got a new app for my Iphone

I got a bicycle app for my Iphone and it tracks my route and elevation and speed. It even maps out the route I took with satellite photos I got a handle bar mount for it but it turns out that was a bad idea. my Iphone goes into power saving mode after a short while and since I like to use full fingered gloves so it wont turn back on. One other problem is that with this case it seals the phone up so well I cant hear it ring. So now I got a new Blackburn computer with cadence. and I leave my phone in my messenger bag and let it do the tracking. turns out that one of my rides I gained a thousand feet in about five miles(whoo) and at the midway of that clime I was pushing a 20% grade. Man am I out of shape or what?

Mike -fat old and slow-frye

·
Ridin Dirty
160 Posts
No go on th music for me!

Situational awareness when I'm riding!

·
retromike3
274 Posts
Good for tracking, not listening.

I wont ride my bike outside with ear buds on, I can't afford too. I don't have very good peripheral vision(maybe none) So I have to keep a sharp ear out for the traffic. I will use them when I am inside and the lawns guy is using the Damed leaf blower or if there playing music I don't want to listen to next store(I hate Town houses) I like my Iphone but I wont let it "space" me out. we are only here temporarily, might as well pay attention to what is going on in front of us.

In the winter on rollers its another story.

Mike

·
Ridin Dirty
160 Posts
I'm looking for apps of interest to cyclists, not for using my device while riding. GI calculator is one, but that's hardly ground-breaking. Doesn't seem like there is much else.
Ok, my bad then :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts