is a converted mountain bike a "road" bike?

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by retromike3, Aug 26, 2010.

1. retromike3

retromike3 retromike3

i have been riding a lot lately a old Giant mountain bike that I set up with 1.5 tires and full fenders. I have a double chainring on front with a 34/26 and a 11-32 eight speed cassette. The neat thing about this bike is that it is just about bomb prof. I don't worry about flats or bent rims(they don't sweep the roads in this part of town.) Its high gear is about a 97 inch so I spin out if I am going to fast but its rock solid on those steep downgrades and it seems to climb like a goat.

I have chased a few roadies and caught them with it,but I don't seem to have the fitness yet to pass them and take the lead.

The bars are not quite strait and not more than as wide as my shoulders. If you look at the body position its really close to that of my road bike. So the question is, what is it? A "new" cross bike, or something that has always been around but not defined in the "hipster" mode?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Mike

mike

2. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Does it look something like my Jamis Explorer 2.0

Attached Files:

3. retromike3

retromike3 retromike3

I bit

In fact i did swipe a few parts from My old Jamis to make my current ride. it looks like this.

Attached Files:

4. Gandalfe

Gandalfe '57 Schwinn Wasp

Don't know what you'd call it other than a hybrid. But if ya wanna pass those other fellas, maybe use toeing or lift back leg when pressing front pedal down. That can make the difference. Go for it! :cool:

5. retromike3

retromike3 retromike3

If you look at the handle bar to seat on my bike verses a more modern MTN bike it has a much more "road" type of position. I noted that last weekend when I did a run down the hill with a friend. He had the same tires as me but he said that he had to peddle to keep up with me. Its been said that after about 15 miles an hour the biggest thing that is dragging you down is wind resistance.

mike

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  6. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Looks good I realy like your bike :thumbsup: :D
    My poor Jamis don't get used mutch any more just hangs in the shead. I ride tha Fuji Absolute 1.0 most of the time or the Cannondale Quick 6

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010