Is getting a full fitting worth it?

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by Frankie, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Frankie

Frankie New Member

I need a little help here folks. After buying my first road bike, a Trek 2.3 and having made the move to clipless pedals, he is my question. Should I go ahead and get a full fitting at this time? I have close to 1000 miles in the saddle now. My LBS where I bought it will do a full fitting for $150.00. They also offer a $50.00 evaluation also. After 20 miles or so, the saddle is not kind to my behind and my arms are tired and aching a bit. No hurting in the knees, back, ankles at all, even after 50 miles, just sore butt and hurting arms. I move my arms around on the bars every now and again and it helps some and I stand up every 15 or 20 minutes to rest my butt. Any advise will help, thank you. :confused:

2. rich88

rich88 New Member

Frankie,

I have mixed feelings about fittings. I have had a few over the years and pretty much none of the guys doing the fitting in retrospect new what they were doing. Anybody can get out charts and graphs and take measurements of your body body but what really matters is that you get set up so that you are most efficient and have no comfort issues.

Years ago I decided to educate myself about proper bike fit and learned about how all the changes you can make would impact my fit. Stuff like seat height, bar drop, stem length, reach, etc. A. competent fitter will get you close but its really up to you to really dial in your fit.

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

What was your mileage base before you got the bike? If you're sore because you don't ride regularly, you'll still be sore after the fitting. If you have actual pain, that's another story.

Any decent bike shop should have set you up with seat height and fore/aft, as well as the correct stem, before you left the store.

4. Frankie

Frankie New Member

I have increased my miles a tad, but I did and still do ride app. 50 to 75 miles per week. I still ride my mountain bike with road tires some, due to me feeling more comfortable on wider tires in wet weather. Totally different bikes all together. I realize the bikes are different, but with a fitting if I need one should put me on the 2.3 90% of the time. I can't really say I am sore, just uncomfortable to the point of almost becoming painful, if that makes any sense. I went and talked to the LBS people today and the fitter will be in tomorrow, I am going back out to talk with him. If I need a fitting, I need one, I just don't understand what would take 3 hours to do. I hear he video tapes the rider, uses a plumb bob. Another concern is this: if I need more parts to make me ride,feel better, I am going to have a ton of money tied up in this bike as a recreational rider. With all that said, I will not be a racer, but I do want to ride as comfortable as possible. Maybe I'm going about this all wrong, but as a new rider, I find these forums are very helpful and almost all the advise I have received has been 100% good. Thanks again.

5. Industry_Hack

If they sold you the correct size frame, the only part you should have to replace is the stem.

Fitting consists of getting the correct seat height, moving it fore/aft (Google KOPS, which isn't even taken as the gospel any more) and making sure the seat is not tilted up or down too much. After that, it's a matter of making sure your stem is the correct length, and your stack height is correct - your bars are not too low. I don't recall anyone ever having a comfort issue with bars too high.

If you don't want to pony up the money, read up on fitting, and find a friend with an indoor trainer you can put your bike on. Block the front wheel to bring the bike level, then check the items mentioned above.

6. Frankie

Frankie New Member

All righty then, thanks for the help, I'll try it!!

7. bmohan55

bmohan55 Senior Member

I always felt fitting was an ongoing process, I am still (slightly) adjusting the settings on my bike after 15 years...especially in the Spring!

8. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I got my Allez fitted, but that was because I was suffering from some serious knee pain...my Lemond I tweaked with on my own, based on the fitting of my Allez, and I have had no problems. That bike is just as comfortable as the one I had fitted.

Frankie....what type of clothing are you wearing? I would assume that you are wearing some type of bike short/bib with a good chamois if your riding longer distances. I am curious if your pain is do to poor clothing. Bad chamois can cause all kinds of problems. As far as arm pain, that could be due to your core strength. If your core is weak (and I am the first to fess to this one) then you end up putting a lot more pressure on 1 of 2 places, either your back to keep your positioning, or your arms (resting your body weight on them). You could be using your arms to support more weight then you should, causing arm soreness.

Just suggestions....hope you find the problem soon!!!

9. Frankie

Frankie New Member

bmohan55, that is a great point, but I realize after a few years I will know what I am doing. With just a couple of months under my belt, I am not up on what I need to know.

10. Frankie

Frankie New Member

I am wearing very good clothing, bought from the clerk at my LBS. Jersey's are good as well. You did make a great point, I find myself needing to relax my arms while I am riding most of the time and no matter how hard I try to remember, in a few minutes, I am in my tensed up state again. I do feel better when I relax my arms. Maybe I just need to pratice relaxation. Easier said than done though.

11. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I know exactly what you mean. I think with time, you will find yourself relaxing more.

12. Hardtail

Hardtail Ridin Dirty

I find myself adjusting as I go!

I love the hard trails, but some days I hop on the tarmac and go!

13. rich88

rich88 New Member

And there lies your solution.

learning about fit and solving your fit issues on your own is very empowering and fun too.

It's not that complicated. There is a ton of info online about proper fit.

14. Sherides100

Sherides100 Junior Member

Got fitted Wednesday...

I've been riding since March - a definite newbie! My goal has always been to ride centuries and I've made it to 64 miles. However, my feet burn, my outermost two fingers on my right hand are numb for 1-2 days after a 3+ hr ride, I'm constantly having to push myself back up on the seat so all those girly bits and pieces are numb and my arms and shoulders are sore. Finally, I thought, maybe the bike isn't set up right... (ya think?!?!) so I started tweaking it. Small increments just like I'd read. But I wasn't feeling a difference. So I went to a different store than where I bought my bike at and, in my beginner's opinion, they did a great job. Had to move the seat back 1.5 inches and raise it up 2.5 inches. Also moved the handlebars up 1.5 inches. Watched me walk and put some doo dads in my shoes and for almost $100, it's a whole new way to ride. He did warn me that I would probably hurt at first since the changes were huge and I have muscle memory for the old set up. But even with the 110 heat index outside, I'm having so much fun on my bike again! My advice would be to have someone do an evaluation. You're obviously not having as much discomfort as I was, but I had so many things wrong, there were too many variables for me to figure out on my own. Maybe that's your situation as well, but with smaller changes needed. :)

Good luck

15. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Wow! Those are HUGE changes. It seems like the shop that set you up didn't have a clue what they are doing. I hope you're not going back there. Glad to hear you stuck it out, and are on your way to being comfortable now.

16. Industry_Hack

It's tempting to mention Sugar Cycles again... ;)

17. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

Frankie, sounds like you need a new LBS.

Either the shop or the customer are fools!

18. Frankie

Frankie New Member

Acually, I did go and get an evaluation and the fellow in that department did an awesome job. He was very smart and knew exactly what he was doing. I say that because he helped me tons. I changed saddles and we moved it up an inch and back an inch and tilted it down in the front a tad from the original location. I went out and rode a quick 27 miler and the ride was actually great, even with the 100 degree heat. He had me stay on my bike while he changed saddles and I didn't see the prices, I tried 300 dollar seats as well as 49 dollar seats. After picking the best fit for me I had picked a 59 dollar seat. That is what made me feel good about the way he did things. Another thing as well, he didn't offer to sell me anything, he just said lets try this or that and if you want it, thats fine and if not, thats fine as well. He is on vacation this week, I will be going back for a full fitting when he returns. Thank you for all of the responses I have had. Being new to the road riding area, I still have lots to learn for sure. Thanks again. On a safety note, I just received my Road ID, bracelet. That is a wonderful tool.

19. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

Frankie, Sounds like you made a great choice and will have many hours of enjoyment.