Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me if it's a good idea to put a chainstay protector (or some other type of protection) on a road bike. Also, any other suggestions on how to protect a carbon fiber frame would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Lots of them come with one. It's usually a clear sticker on the chainstay. Check and see if yours has one. If not, I'd ask the shop you bought it from for one, or order one like this.

WHEELS MANUFACTURING CHAINSTAY PROTECTOR at JensonUSA.com

I do think its a good idea.

Also, I'd make sure there is clear frame tape in other places where your cables rub the frame. Another tip for carbon, as far as cleaning the frame, a simple rinse followed by an application of Pedro's Bike Lust does a good job.

·
Drink plenty of water!!!
328 Posts
As said, a necessity, weighs nil so why not? If your frame does not have one already (don't they all?) there are ones made of carbonfiber, adhesive backed, that look nice. Mavic gives you one when you buy their wheels, lots to choose from on ebay too.

On the subject of frame protection: the little aftermarket gizmo that fastens to the seat tube just under the front derailleur and keeps the chain from overshifting past the small ring is a great investment! Those mishaps really mark up the frame not to mention being a greasy nuisance and possible race-losing time loss. One of the if not the best bang for buck deals in bike gear!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts