Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a 2011 schwinn tourist hybrid and I just want to know if its a road bike and what it's mixed with because the word hybrid is thrown into the name. To me it looks like more of a road bike because of it's 700c tires. It even says road tuned on the frame.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I think most people would refer to your bike as a 'flat bar' road bike... at least I would.

I looked a picture of one up on Google... looks nice!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Well its called a hybrid for a good reason. It's not really a road bike, because you sit more upright than a road bike. It's more comfortable, but its not as fast. It definitely isn't a mountain bike, but it will do few trails if it isn't too technical. Hard pack it should handle, but real trails those skinny tires won't work so well and the seating position isn't right to handle real rough stuff. It also isn't a comfort bike. The comfort bike has an even more upright seating position still, and it is more comfortable than your hybrid, but it also isn't as fast. A hybrid isn't really optimized for any particular type of riding, but it does a lot of things pretty well and that in and of itself is a plus.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Well I have 2 Hybirds that are bouth nice bikes but thay are verry differnte The quick 6 has a 700x38 tire the Absolute a 700x28 that is a narow as a 25, the quick 6 is geard lower with a 48 chain ring for the big ring the Absolute has a 50 the bikes frames are so different so a Hybrid can take on many forms.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Your Schwinn hybrid will do both sidewalk, ally and road duty just fine. Now it's not going to out run a true road bike unless your in extream shape.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Based on what people are telling me here it looks like my bike is mostly a city going bike obviously not built for the trails. I'm just calling a city/speed bike. I'm glad I got it then. Its actually not bad when it comes to comfort once you get used to it. I went from a modern cruiser bike to my new Schwinn. I have heard much about how much quality is in Schwinn bikes and I couldn't resist. I look for quality in a bike and it looks like Schwinn has lots of it.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Some Schwinn's are quality bikes, but just because it has Schwinn on it if you get it a department store, don't expect the same as you would get from a bike store

·
Registered
66 Posts
Right, I think when Bicycle Times looked at some new Schwinn's, they said that they "do not resemble the bicycle shaped objects in big box stores with the Schwinn name."

It's hurt the Schwinn name overall, but the parent company is a big conglomerate that also owns Cannondale. I have some fond memories of my Schwinn.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Your Schwinn is a Hybrid. That said, it will act somewhere between a road bike and a mountain bike. It won't keep up with most roadies and it won't take going downhill over rocks and branches too kindly.

However, if you want to ride the well-beaten park trails, you'll have no problem. If you want to climb paved mountain roads, you'll have no problem. If you want to commute back and forth to school, work, or the grocery store, guess what? You'll have no problem!

Schwinn used to be a name that had embedded within it, the type of bicycle quality in which we all felt reassured. Schwinn now means Walmart, cheap, department-store-box-bike, and unreliable.

In reality though, Schwinn bikes when purchased from department stores and Walmart, have cheaper components that most likely have been improperly installed. If you were to purchase that same bike from your LBS, you'd have better components and they'd most likely be installed properly.

Of course, Schwinn carries some very exclusive bikes that have that similar quality of old that folks were so accustomed to many years ago. Schwinn appears to be gradually phasing their chromoly steel-framed bikes out. However, you can still get a great chromoly-framed bike from Schwinn, called the Urban Slicker for under $800 and its quite a quality bike with great components when purchased from your local bike shop.

I'll reserve my opinion about Aluminum-framed bikes for now....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Even tho its a hybrid bike I don't want to risk taking it on a rough mountain trail. It's built mostily for speed or casual riding to me and that's what I pan to use it for in order to take good care of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts