Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to do cycling and I want to lose weight through cycling. But my friend told me about cardio instead of cycling, since cycling burns calories at a much slower rate. Is it true? So what's better to lose calories faster, cycling or other exercises?

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
6,122 Posts
I like to do cycling and I want to lose weight through cycling. But my friend told me about cardio instead of cycling, since cycling burns calories at a much slower rate. Is it true? So what's better to lose calories faster, cycling or other exercises?
If you are interested in losing weight, bikes can be a great way to do so. For me, it's less about the most efficient way to burn calories and more about staying active doing things that I enjoy. I enjoy few things more than cyling, so that's what I do. That said, if you're doing it right, cycling is all about cardio. Lots of exercise routines are.

For weight loss, I'd recommend looking into HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) routines.

·
Old, fat, and slow
1,271 Posts
"Cardio" just means raising your heart rate. Raising your heart rate does not in itself burn calories, and you cannot simply raise your heart rate. One's heart rate raises when one puts load on one's muscles---when one demands that the muscles work beyond normal capacity, thus demanding more oxygen and fuel, which is delivered via the circulatory system, which is powered by the heart.

"Cardio" and "aerobics" are both just quondam popular terms for "moving your fat butt." Aerobics refers more specifically to exercise which makes you breathe a little harder but not pant .... breath rate is used to regulate exercise levels. Cardio is usually regulated by monitoring heart rate, usually with a heart-rate monitor, with a goal of using some certain percentage of your safe maximum output.

In both cases the emphasis is on doing a moderately hard amount of work for an extended period to burn fat, versus high-intensity bursts.

Cycling Can be great for weight loss .... it is low-impact which means you tend not to deteriorate your body as much as, well, higher-impact activities. However, it is all in how you ride. if you loaf along at a walking pace, you might have a ton of fun and see a lot of sights but not burn much fat. Just as with Any form of exercise, you modulate intensity and activity to gain whichever goals you seek.

If you get out on a bike and ride regularly with some effort, you can lose weight and get fit---I have done it. You can also ride in alzy fahsion and enjoy riding and not burn much fat---I do that now.

Choice is yours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts