Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This issue, topic and question has been brought up many times. There are many people who think the United States was founded on the christian religion and is a christian based country.

What do you think?

·
Two skinny J's
21,183 Posts

·
Back in the Saddle
106 Posts
Those on the Mayflower left England because they wanted more religious freedom. Our founding fathers wanted Religious freedom. & Most current studies show that the vast majority in the US consider themselves "religious."

I'd say it was founded on Christian principles and remains that way today, even though many wish it was not.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The United States was not founded on the Christian Religion. In the Barbary peace and friendship treaty with Tripoli, (now Libya), written in 1797, was negotiated by President Washington, ratified by the Senate and signed by President Adams it is clearly stated:
" The Government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian Religion; as it has itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquilty, of Mussulmans [Muslims] ; and, as said the States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation."
The key part of this is the United States is not was not foudned on the Christian religion.

200 years later in 1997, Reverand Billy Graham, who has offered prayers at Presidential Inaugurations from Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1953 to George W. Bush in 2001 has stated, more than once the United States is not a Christian nation. He was asked in an interview with BBC 's Sir David Frost, if the United States is a Christian nation. Graham asserted, "No! We're not a Christian country. We've never been a Christian country. We're a secular country by our Constitution in which Christians live and in which many Christians have a voice. But We're not a Christian country."

When George Washington add the words. "So help me God" at his inauguration he was not refering to the Christian religion or faith.

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
The Founding Fathers, according to the 'official' story, used their upbringing in Christian principles to formulate the body of laws and society they wanted to see in America. But, because of the long-embedded aversion to religious domination, they moderated their leanings to avoid direct Christian application.

The seeds of the nation were secular, but watered with 'holy water'.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Founding Fathers, according to the 'official' story, used their upbringing in Christian principles to formulate the body of laws and society they wanted to see in America. But, because of the long-embedded aversion to religious domination, they moderated their leanings to avoid direct Christian application.

The seeds of the nation were secular, but watered with 'holy water'.
If this is what you think the official story is then you really need to read a book called COMMERCIAL PROVIDENCE The Secret Destiny of the American Empire by Patrick Mendis.

One of the things the book talks about is not much if anything is mentioned about the Founding Fathers religious beliefs. It does mention they were Diest's, as does most history books that mentions their religous faith. Very little if anything exists that specifies what specific religous faith they actually observed or if they were even observant and practiced their faith.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Are you high? Seriously. I mean, I am whacked out on painkillers right now, but I'm at least lucid enough to wonder why you would be posting such drivel on a cycling forum, on Christmas.

·
Two skinny J's
21,183 Posts
Are you high? Seriously. I mean, I am whacked out on painkillers right now, but I'm at least lucid enough to wonder why you would be posting such drivel on a cycling forum, on Christmas.
Hack....I'm glad you said that. I jokingly posted to this at the start of this thread cuz I knew where it was going... I post a lot of useless stuff here but this kind of posting serves no purpose here. If he really wanted a good debate there has to be a better forum platform to bait people in to useless, tail chasing, BS!!!

Hope you're feeling no pain and Santa was good to you :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts