Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
greenhorn
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to see if anyone else struggles with this...it doesn't happen all the time, not even that often but when it does it's scary. At times, on a hard pull up a hill, and normally when I'm pushing to keep up with my 28 year old son, I sat to feel light headed, and if I stop at the top to catch my breath, I feel dizzy.
Not pass out dizzy but get off the bike dizzy.
He thinks I'm forgetting to breath deep enough and lacking oxygen.
Any ideas? Anyone else have this happen?
Not sure if it's a water thing, and oxygen thing, a conditioning thing.
I am 52, 145 lbs, but pretty active. Play basketball every Monday night for 2 hours, tennis most weekends in the summer, hunt, fish, and 50 miles on a bike per week.
What are your thoughts? Even though I'm older than a lot of you, my biking is a new found pleasure of about 2 years.

·
Registered
350 Posts
No matter how hard I push on a hill, I don't get dizzy. I'm 55 and on a recumbent. Maybe you're hyperventilating? Definitely not normal. If you can't get a handle on it, +1 to the doc.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
You should realy see your DR.
This is from someone that almost waited to long.
See a DR. please

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
One more get to the Dr. and DO NOT RIDE again till you see one. I can think of at least 3 or 4 conditions that could be hidden that could be exposed by exercise. Many of them could be fatal. In fact getting dizzy may be the luckiest thing that could have happened to you. Some blockages are not so kind as to give one a warning.

It may not be anything major though, but you shouldn't take the chance. IF it is something major, you will only make the outcome worse by putting it off.

·
greenhorn
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had a visit with the Dr this morning. We talked, he took vitals and did a ton of preliminary checks. Blood pressure is great, pulse is on the low side for my age but it has always been that way. Cholesterol is good levels, nothing out of the ordinary at all. He is setting me up with a full battery of stress tests just to be on the safe side but from what he saw this morning I seem to be in pretty good health. But he did remind me that I can not ride like a 28 year old. He is also a cyclist, and mentioned that many riders go too fast too quick and maybe I need to taper my workouts and work myself up to an all out climb. But he said I should take a break till we can do the stress tests so we know for sure.
Thanks for all the concerns, I feel better getting an expert to look at it.
Another interesting revelation this weekend. It had been 4 years since an eye exam, and so I stopped over. After the normal checks and prescription examination, the eye Dr informed me my right eye has changed 5 prescriptions, my left eye 3 prescriptions. All for the better. The changes I've made in my diet and exercise has made my eyes that much better. I'll follow up with my med Dr but if my glasses are too strong, could they also contribute to dizziness?
We will see, but I'm on the road to get to the bottom of it.

·
greenhorn
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Funny thing is, I called the office to schedule a visit with the Dr., figuring it would be a couple weeks, maybe after Christmas before I could get it. And they had a cancellation this morning.
I thought for sure it would be first of the year before I got scheduled.
Someone up above must be watching out for me!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I'm glad to hear you went. There are times when should let the pros help us. That battery of stress tests will either give you the peace of mind, or give them clues to what to look for next. Either way its a win. No you are not 28 anymore, and in a way that's good. A 28 year old would not listen to their body. They would be much more prone to be macho and I guess most 28 year olds think they are invincible.

By the time I was 30, invincibility was something I couldn't afford IF I wanted to get old. The job I had at that time wouldn't let you get old if you didn't remember you could get hurt.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Glade you went to the DR. You would not want me to tell you what is wrong with your bike, so I know you did not want any medical advice from me :rolleyes::D. Good luck on your test :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
Funny thing is, I called the office to schedule a visit with the Dr., figuring it would be a couple weeks, maybe after Christmas before I could get it. And they had a cancellation this morning.
I thought for sure it would be first of the year before I got scheduled.
Someone up above must be watching out for me!
That's always the way it is. I had a dentist last week say the same thing.

·
GiddyUp
337 Posts
yep, that's a great question for your doctor, but I'd guess that your not getting enough oxygen, maybe your holding your breath and not breathing properly.

·
greenhorn
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just finished a full battery of tests and stress tests. I gave the slanted treadmill a good workout. The Dr was sort of amazed at how low my heart stayed while I was doing the test. Preliminary results looked great for heart, arteries, blood pressures. Dr. said in a few days all the results would be back but he said I was in great shape. He mentioned the same thing Weav did, he was wondering if I was tense on a hard climb and not breathing deep enough. I gotta admit, many times on a hard push I catch myself holding my breath for short periods.
The Dr suggested working on breathing techniques to be sure I'm breathing effectively especially during a workout.
So is there any advice on breathing? Is there an accepted style of breathing while cycling hard? Or just deep diaphragm type breathing on a steady pace?
I appreciate all the concerns, it is good to know I'm not in immediate danger and in pretty good shape.

·
GiddyUp
337 Posts
I am 12 years younger than Greenhorn and the same weight. I get the same thing sometimes, not that often, when stopping at the top of a climb. I'm in great shape and I'm pretty positive that I tend to hold my breath for too long and not breathe properly. I'll ask a couple of my friends who have a certified fitness trainer who gets people into shape for Triathlons and Ironmans if she can pass along some tips on breathing while climbing. I think I have another resource on line that I can check out as well. I'll let you know what I find.

·
greenhorn
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great Weav, send me anything you find. And I'm glad someone else gets this once in a while. It's like I said, maybe 3 or 4 times in the last year. Many times I push hard and it doesn't occur. But I would love to read anything you can come up with on the subject.

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
It seems to be a natural reaction to intense effort to hold your breath, dunno why. It's the worst time to do so. I had to train myself not to do it on the bike, although I still catch myself doing it on occasion at work, lifting something heavy(that I shouldn't be lifting in the first place).

What I still focus on when climbing: spin, pulling the pedal through the stroke, lifting the leg higher on the upstroke, and slightly more rapid breathing than even is called for -- keeps you a bit more oxygenated.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you die at least you will do so on a bike and happy to be doing so. For some reason that just seems to be the right way to go. I also have a very bad need to go to the Dr. but I keep putting it off because I don't want to hear the bad news.

Good luck to you my friend.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts