·
Two skinny J's
21,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Reactions: fpl1 and Dos_Ruedas

·
Old, fat, and slow
945 Posts
Lots of spokes for such a skinny guy .... and rim brakes .... but then, he is a dinosaur. I have no idea what obvious thing is not obvious to me .... but that is normal for my particular abnormality.

I notice he does not, apparently, have a boat. Makes me wonder what he does to have fun and to waste money.

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
Several things…
1) he’s very rough with his bike. I’d never treat mine like he does (tossing wheels to the ground and hitting the brush against the frame )

2) lube never gets sprayed near my wheels or brakes. Never.

3) looks like he copied rola’s bar tape.

·
Two skinny J's
21,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hav
I notice he does not, apparently, have a boat. Makes me wonder what he does to have fun and to waste money.
No maybe not and it's his loss, shame really. BUT he does have motorcycles :D
Several things…
1) he’s very rough with his bike. I’d never treat mine like he does (tossing wheels to the ground and hitting the brush against the frame )

2) lube never gets sprayed near my wheels or brakes. Never.

3) looks like he copied rola’s bar tape.
I was a bit surprised at him tossing the wheels and my first thought was cheap Chinese carbon? who cares :D A quick google shows otherwise. Made in Oregon and I'm sure he's paying next to nothing for them :D Made in Oregon: Knight Composites | CUSTOM BIKE WHEELS | SUGAR WHEEL WORKS

Never noticed the bar tape.

Iv'e never heard anybody ever condone the use of WD-40 on a bike the way he does, eva :D

·
Old, fat, and slow
945 Posts
I was a bit surprised at him tossing the wheels and my first thought was cheap Chinese carbon? who cares :D A quick google shows otherwise. Made in Oregon and I'm sure he's paying next to nothing for them :D
Yeah, my first thought there was, "There is a guy who hasn't oaid a cent for bikes or accessories in 20 years."
Iv'e never heard anybody ever condone the use of WD-40 on a bike the way he does, eva :D
Yeah .... product placement? Paid sponsorship?
I’m glad you guys filled me in, because I can’t handle that many minutes of Chris Horner.
Shockingly, it wasn't that bad.

The real story here, is that (even though I did a light cleaning a week or so ago) this video inspired me to go clean my rain bike (it has been getting a lot of name-specific use lately.) I found I tend to use very similar techniques .... though I am not afraid of using a green scrub pad on a metal bike. The paint will Not come right off. ( I understand his stuff was all carbon.)

AI also noticed he is paid by ... I mean, he is fond of Squirt wax, which (as best as my aging, rotten, drug-addled (past use) brain can recall) was a favorite of a TwoSpoke stalwart.

·
Two skinny J's
21,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^ I've thought about using wax serval times but always seemed like a PITA. The way he showed it and the way it seemed to be so clean is very inviting :D
I've used Rock-N-Roll Gold on my road bike and blue on the MTB so long now I can't remember any others.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,453 Posts
Full disclosure: I only watched maybe half the vid before turning it off. The presenter came across as incredibly smug even as his demonstration of technique appeared to embody the idea of giving it a lick and a promise. To pick just a couple of nits from the mass, it is my experience that spokes are not effectively cleaned with a swipe or two of a brush. I have to go after them individually, with cloth or maybe a sponge. Perhaps it would be different if I never played off pavement.

Also, it may be a measure of my own personal sloppiness, but I have trouble with the idea of cleaning a bike while wearing hi-vis. If it works for him, great. I nevertheless found it difficult to take him seriously as a bike cleaner kitted out the way he was.

·
Two skinny J's
21,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol, he's a road cyclist, aren't they all smug and arrogant ? :D

^ yes, the kit part of that was so poorly thought out it was ridicules. On the other hand, if a bike is wiped down and cleaned regularly a quick swipe I would think should be sufficient on spokes. As always depends on local conditions.

Reactions: fpl1 and newleaf150

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,024 Posts
oh, I'm supposed to clean stuff?.....not just throw more clean ride on the chain? Cleaning doesn't mean riding a muddy bike on a dry trail and knocking off what was collected on last ride? How does a road bike even get dirty? Not watching the video and those are not really questions.......except the road bike one. Have a good day and go ride. (all my spokes are dirty on all my bikes)

·
tall old member
1,364 Posts
Little Chris Horner sat in the corner washing his bicycle chain.
At the start of the video he said he would show you how to wash your bike in ten minutes. I started watching it and then I saw the video was 23 minutes long. I didn’t watch it. I like to keep a protective layer of dirt on my stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts