Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there really a difference between the super expensive water bottles and cages and the $10 Meijer/Wal-Mart versions? It doesn't seem like that critical of an item to me, but it could be deeper than aesthetics.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Is there really a difference between the super expensive water bottles and cages and the $10 Meijer/Wal-Mart versions? It doesn't seem like that critical of an item to me, but it could be deeper than aesthetics.
The expensive ones are usally carbon fiber, stainless steel, or titanium. The $5 variety will hold a bottle just as well.

·
717 Posts
Unless you are a weight weenie it's aesthetics but there is nothing wrong with that. I couldn't stand looking down at my cheapo cages while riding my new bike so I upgraded them with matching carbon fiber ones. May sound shallow but it makes me feel better knowing that my bike looks better with them. Anything that adds to the enjoyment is ok in my book.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to afford the titanium, kevlar, kryptonite ones. I mean how cool would it be to be like, "Oh your cage weighs 0.9oz. That's cool mine's 0.8." But I gotta be honest with myself. I can barely afford the ramen I'm eating.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Oh don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to afford the titanium, kevlar, kryptonite ones. I mean how cool would it be to be like, "Oh your cage weighs 0.9oz. That's cool mine's 0.8." But I gotta be honest with myself. I can barely afford the ramen I'm eating.
OMG! They make Kryptonite bottle cages? That's better than unobtainium and inaffordium. SWEET! I'm getting one!!:D

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Unobtainium is so 2010 :p

Anyway, I got the cheap one, I think it's aluminum but it might be plastic. I swear it weighs less than a piece of paper though.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
bmohan55 and I are equally as shallow when it comes to buying 'bling' for our bikes, but otherwise the $10 (and I've seen cheaper) work just as well as long as it holds your bottle in place.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I found some nice $10 holders at one of our local bike shops...they looked perfectly fine.

Now..about the bottle, clear or opaque? :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts