Is this a bad idea?

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by CaptainSlow001, May 26, 2010.

1. CaptainSlow001

CaptainSlow001 New Member

I've recently gotten back into mountain biking quite hard...

My bike is a 2007 Trek 6500 and I've been considering buying a new one. I would stay with Trek and a hard tail setup. (I ride almost exclusively cross country)

I had this idea while out riding today that buying a totally new bike was dumb... I could just upgrade a few of the components on my old one. The frame still fits me perfectly, I just bought new Kenda Nevegals last year, it has 27 speeds of Shimano Deore XT, mechanical Avid disk brakes, and a decently light frame. So instead of buying into a new bike I was looking at new forks, rims and possibly brakes. Sound good? :confused:

Also could anyone send me in the right direction looking for these parts? I'm a tad clueless :p

2. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

sounds like a good plan to me... I don't know too much about the specifics of what to buy, and how to install it (but I'm sure IH will be in here soon :D ), but if you already have a frame that fits you, you'll definitely save some $ by just upgrading the mechanicals.

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

What's wrong with your current setup? There are some good deals on wheels out there, but if you're already running Avid discs, it's going to be hard to justify spending money on brakes. No matter what you get, the performance increase will only be incremental - a $300 set of brakes won't be a $300 improvement over the Avids. The only issue with the fork is that unless you get a smokin' deal, a really nice non-OEM fork isn't cheap. You could easily spend $500 or more for a nice Fox fork that comes stock on a $1200 bike.

When it comes to upgrading over buying new, it comes down to budget, what you want, and who you know.

4. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

told you IH would be in here soon :D (he never sleeps...)

5. CaptainSlow001

Thanks guys! Yeah the brakes are Avid, and cable, not hydro but work pretty well. The rims are weak and will be the first thing I upgrade, as for the fork that'll be the hard part and once again the one I have now is less than amazing, but works for what I need.

EDIT: I should explain the brakes are already upgraded from the stock ones that clamp the wheel (Dont know the term :p) so my rims are set up for those but came with disk compatible hubs resulting in a super simple upgrade.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  6. Industry_Hack

And just what do you think I do for the majority of my work day?

7. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Drink and harass people?

8. Industry_Hack

9. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Wow, how cool is that -- get paid to harass people! Hack, you got the JOB!

I agree with you about the Avid mech discs. Coupled with the right cables, they can be as strong and reliable as any hydro out there. MINE are!

What's your stock fork, Captain?

10. CaptainSlow001

Its a Manitou (sp?) something... I'll get back to you on the exact model when I can.

11. Industry_Hack

I don't even get to harass people. My promotion was based on my ability to make the angriest client happy. Then I delegate their issue to someone geekier than me for resolution.