Is this worth it?

Discussion in 'Fixed & Singlespeed' started by HippieCommuter, Aug 24, 2009.

1. HippieCommuter

HippieCommuter Guest

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

That's pretty sweet! Hard to beat at that price for a nice steel bike. It looks like the only issue is the short cockpit. If you can find one that fits, I'd go for it!

3. HippieCommuter

HippieCommuter Guest

Ok sweet!! thx bro! i will definitely look into it more

4. Cycle Snack

Cycle Snack New Member

My only comment is that the rear wheel looks like a QR and with those horizontal drops, you'll want a Surly Chain Tug on that if you are going to use that wheel. I have had numerous problems and maintaining chain tension with QRs and Horizontal drops.

5. hophead

Looks like track ends and nuts....
    [​IMG]

6. Cycle Snack

Cycle Snack New Member

Pic in the blog looked like a QR. Good to know.

7. HippieCommuter

HippieCommuter Guest

Thank you all! um one concern of my own, is since this bike is produced by a bike shop should i need to worry? like since its not a name brand manufacturer

8. hophead

The frame is probably made in China, which is no big deal. That's part of the reason that it's so cheap. I wouldn't worry.

9. HippieCommuter

HippieCommuter Guest

ok its just for my first like NEW SS purchase i dont want it to croak on me ya kno?

10. hophead

One of the nice things about singlespeeds is that there's not much to break. In general, the only problems that I have are going through bottom brackets and freewheels. Bottom brackets are cheap. You can get a Shimano for 10 or 15 bucks. I probably go through one bb a year.

I'm not sure if the Workhorse uses a freewheel or if it has a freehub. I can't find any specs listed. If it's a freewheel type hub, it probably comes with a cheap Shimano freewheel. When that croaks, which it will, replace it with a White Industries ENO freewheel if you can afford one. They're around 70 bucks. It's the freakin' holy grail of freewheels. The things are damn near indestructible. I destroyed the Shimano freewheel on my Bianchi DISS the first month I had it. I've used ENO's ever since and have never had one fail.

11. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Did you ask the shop about warranty information? The bike shop by my house offers warranty on all labor, not parts. There fault, they pay or replace, parts fault take it up with China.

12. HippieCommuter

HippieCommuter Guest

So i forgot to ask about the warranty, but i finally went in to get a helmet lol and i got to take the workhorse on a test ride, i was surprisingly impressed. I think it will a good investment

13. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I hope so. Go luck to you and the new ride.