Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wow, I feel very lucky to be able to post this. My pastor and I were struck by a car while training for an upcoming ride on Aug. 11th.. I am still counting my blessings. We were pretty banged up, but no broken bones, again so lucky! Check out the interview............... click on news video and then click Blount county...........

Townsend police searching for driver who hit two cyclists
WATE News, Weather and Sports in Knoxville and East Tennessee

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
First of all be thankful for every day. Yes you were fortunate, but take this opportunity after you have a day or two to calm down, but while its still fresh in your mind to go over and review what happened. No it wasn't your fault. You were hit. Yet was there anything you could do to lesson the risks next time. Things that may have made no difference what so ever in this case, but might next time. Do you ride with tail lights on during the day? Do they blink? Is there a safer route to get where you wanted to go? Is there a better time of day if practical? You may not find anything that you would do differently, but go through the process. Once you have learned all you can from the crash, that IS your closure. Let it go. This risks are exactly the same now as they were before the crash. You may ride the rest of your life and never have another problem, or it can happen your next ride, but riding in fear is no fun. Forget the driver. They may never catch them, and either way its beyond your control. Being mad, p o ed and upset is normal. You can't control getting hit, but you can control how you feel about getting hit.

You did a lot right too. Part of the reason you are still here is the helmet. Anyone that doesn't think a helmet is necessary should look at that video of the cracked helmet. It did its job. You are going to be sore tomorrow, but thankfully that's all.

·
Two skinny J's
21,207 Posts
Wow, I feel very lucky to be able to post this. My pastor and I were struck by a car while training for an upcoming ride on Aug. 11th.. I am still counting my blessings. We were pretty banged up, but no broken bones, again so lucky! Check out the interview............... click on news video and then click Blount county...........

Townsend police searching for driver who hit two cyclists
WATE News, Weather and Sports in Knoxville and East Tennessee
Glad you are ok, my money is on a texter.
Maybe easier to find here: Took me a while to figure it out :)

Frankie this reminded me of what happened to me short of being hit by the car car. As I watched the interview and saw how the other gentleman landed in the road it would seem worse than the actual bump by the car. Being run over by another car at that point it a real danger and would be a real bummer after surviving the hit from the car :) I love the comment at the end, " In the state of Tennessee you are required to stay 3 feet away from any cyclist"

Once again glad you both came out relatively unscathed!

http://www.twospoke.com/forum/f27/20-z-e-r-o-instant-3882/

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all, everything is still going well. I don't know if you read the comments at the end of the story or not, but we were bashed as bicyclist, that was about as painful as getting hit. What is wrong with these people? Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Wow, so glad you both are safe. From the video it looks like you guys were out in the open where someone would have to be blind (or texting as Rola mentioned) not to see you.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Maybe not texting, but at least distracted. Sad thing is that they honestly may not have known they hit someone. IF you were looking at something else, you might know you hit something, but just assumed it was another pot hole and kept going.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Glad that you and your friend are ok. At the rate things are going now you can be driving a high class car today and riding a low class bicycle tomorrow. It has happened before so when you think you are to good to share the road remember that when its your turn. It doen't neccesarily have to be bike either. It could me a motorized scooter or even a motorized wheelchair. But nowadays you have cars not even wanting to share the road with other cars. Oh and one other thing there are bike paths popping up everywhere nowadays and they are meant for well bikes but the pedestrians take them over and wear their headsets and take up the entire paths. and then complain about us on bike trails. Everyone needs to learn to share.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts