It is done

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by rola643, Feb 27, 2011.

1. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

The double has been installed. I have ridden with a compact since October when I got my new bike. The double looked huge after riding with the compact. I just really felt like I needed the more on the top end. Now that it's done I looked at winder finder for the ride tomorrow and it doesn't look good for a weak rider with a double to me ! 21-28 mph winds. If it stays southerly most of the ride would be cool; the last stretch home would really suck !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  2. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Too much info I can't digest all that. I just go out and get the paper if it feels good I ride.

3. rola643

True dat! I have gotten into a bad habit of "sneaking" a peak. I just look at wind speed and direction to see how much of struggle it will be...Anticipation is....?

4. rola643

Hell and Paradise

Did that ride this morning 41.4 miles with 21-28 mph winds and gawd only knows what the gusts were. I heard on the lunch time news 40+ mph gusts, might be later today since was grazing through my refuel-post ride and not paying full attention.

It was both awesome, drag racing up 17 North ,touching 30 mph and hell turning straight back into those winds for the last 10-15 miles. There were times when it was like riding in a perfect vacuum, it was deadly silent and you could hear the pebbles on the road as they hit your tire. It took every ounce of energy and fortitude I had to just keep forward momentum at some points. Quads screaming to stop, burning with the intensity of fire. If I was a stronger rider this might not have been so much of an issue. Having the double back on the bike was SOOOOO much better but I prayed to the wind gods that I might stop and put the compact on to get home! For safety (and my burning quads) we cut the ride a few miles short. Side winds and gusts were blowing us as much as 3ft at some points and RT14 we had planned on riding with traffic traveling 60 mph would have been suicidal today.

I still managed a fairly respectable 17.2 mph avg today but that wasn't really the point of the ride today.

I lived in Southwest Oklahoma for 2 years and I can't imagine trying to ride in that every single day!

Attached Files:

5. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Well I am glade the ride turned out good for you. I wish more people would post about there rides.