It is goathead season, can we say flat tires...

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by jeepster93, Aug 18, 2009.

1. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

Here in Denver Goathead stickers are a fact of life. They grow well along the edge of the sidewalks and trails. It is their season. A goathead will flatten a tire ,boom. I can get 5 in the same tire.

How do you protect your tires?

Slime?
    Tube liners?

I can't really avoid them by riding on the street, as the drivers around here are aggressive, they are that way for reasons too. The bikers are, for a large part, holes, and do not obey laws. Bikes are actually banned on a lot of roads for this very reason.

Thoughts...

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I've never had any encounters with goatheads.....yet. I'll be out your way next week, so maybe that will change. Hopefully they will remain on the edge of the trails and not in them.

I suppose if I lived out there and tire punctures were a problem, I'd go tubless and use Stan's or something equivalent.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009

3. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

If you want to ride...let me know. If you can fit a 58 cm bike, you can use one of mine in fact.
    We are going to Glenwood Springs for labor day to ride the bikes on the Colorado river path through the canyon.
    TOTALLY COOL place to ride... Perhaps do the Vail pass bike path too??? There is a bike path from Breckenridge to Aspen, 150 miles easy, all paved.

The thing is the authorities mow the edge of the trails and throw the stickers into the trail, so it's not a question of avoiding the edge.
    There is really no way to avoid them.

I put several patches on my tubes this morning...:mad:
    I must carry a patch kit, spoons, and a pump at all times now. Pumping a road tire to 100 psi is a chore too!!!

4. hophead

Thanks, but unfortunately I'll be back east for Labor Day.

I was out there last month and brought one of my xc bikes and it was a blast. This time we're gonna do some gravity. I'll probably head out to Winter Park with my gf.

5. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

We were in Winter Park last weekend. "Mountain bike capital of the world".
    $34 for an all day lift ticket for you and your bike. $11 for the alpine slide-a must!

6. hophead

Sahhhhhhweeet! Lookin' forward to it!:D

7. Magomra

Magomra Guest

What is a goathead?

8. hophead

[​IMG]

9. LittleDonny

LittleDonny Guest

Can these pop your tires?

[​IMG]

10. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

???

11. hophead

No, those are hitch hikers. Not sure what their real name is. Those are more of a threat to your wool socks.
    Never heard of Stans?
    [​IMG]

12. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

I call them cockel burs...

I saw the Stans at the REI. Will investigate this...

What do you think of that green slime tube stuff?

13. hophead

I've never used any of that stuff. Around here pinch flats are the biggest threat.

14. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

That green slime stuff is a waste in my mind and its incredibly messy. Stans is a better route but may costs you a little more to convert to depending on your tire/rim combo. Do some research and/or talk to the guys at your LBS

15. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

I spent last year in a small N. CA. Orland by name, in the northern Sacramento valley. I had never heard of Goats heads before then, but I learned fast. I could get 10 of them in one tire in one ride, there was no way to avoid them. I replaced tubes almost every other ride, slime was useless, preslimed tubes didn't help. Unfortunately I never found solid tubes for my size tires or I would have put them on without delay. I have had some luck with the slime for other small punctures, had a flat on the road last Sunday and was able to pump it back up and ride 10 mi back home, would have been ugly without the slime, long walk and nobody around to help... but no tube can withstand goatsheads. I put in puncture resistant liners and the f****n thorns went right thru them. I'm gonna look at the Stan's, but not sure anything other than solid tire/tube combinations.

Now I'm back in the Sierra Nevada mtns and not the Sac valley, no goat heads, curious they are in Denver, thought the altitude/cold temps was why we don't have them in the Sierras, hmmm...one more reason to love my mtns.

You want to ride the Sierras, let me know, tough climbs, few cars, and NO GOATHEADS!!!

DrB

16. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

Well...

I learned something...the hard way...which is MY WAY!

I got these little "pre-glued" tire patches from Wally world...
    They are little pieces of plastic tape. Real sticky, but ...

Been patching my tires with them.

They leak.:hate:

So now with new tubes and a new tire patch kit, that includes glue and rubber patches...Back to it.

17. hophead

I hear that the Park GP-2 patches work well. I've never used them myself though. I'm old school when it comes to patching tubes. I still use glue.
    [​IMG]

18. Chainset

Chainset Guest

no idea how would that go through my tires, never happened to me.

19. Smiley

Smiley New Member

I absolutely DETEST those goatheads. We have them here as well, they are the DEVIL I tell you!

20. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

What a NASTY day today...

I was out on a 40 mile ride this morning.
    17 miles from home, I got a flat tire in the front.
    So, I stop to fix it and did not bring my C02 cartridge filling thingie. So I use my riding partners hand pump.
    I get the tire mostly filled(it is HARD to pump 100 psi into a tire by hand), and pull the pump off the tire stem.
    The dang thing goes HISS and there is no more air in the tire.

The thing that you screw out to release the valve(presta valve) is GONE.

LONG walk...

I send my riding partner ahead, home to get a car with a bike rack on it, while I walk to a road crossing for extraction.

Walking like 2 1/2 miles to the nearest road in bike shoes pushing my fancy bike. That was not fun.:(

I think I will, at least during the rest of Goathead season, carry a spare tube...( or perhaps, a pair of regular shoes)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009