Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Two skinny J's
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YOU ARE NOT IMAGINING IT: CYCLING INDOORS IS HARDER THAN OUTSIDE
Training is never meant to be easy, but for those who push themselves hard indoors and outside there is often a common observation: indoor training feels harder and invariably requires greater commitment and higher energy output.

Spin Spin Spin
I fully agree with the commitment part but can't speak to the energy part. I push myself to energy limit on every ride so I'm not sure what that difference might be other than shorter rides indoors than out. At least a 2 wheel bike on a trainer counts as a bike, peleton and all single wheel machines are exercycles or unicycles IMO 馃榿 Link says indoor cycling so I guess it's all inclusive either or and thing.............I might keep bikes indoors but the wife draws the line at me riding them indoors so I'm gonna stay outdoors.

Goes without saying, but there鈥檚 no coasting indoors. You can coast as much as 20% or more outdoors, but there鈥檚 no way to hide on the trainer. You鈥檙e also doing some kind of structured workout, which is likely more taxing than JRA.

Two skinny J's
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Goes without saying, but there鈥檚 no coasting indoors. You can coast as much as 20% or more outdoors, but there鈥檚 no way to hide on the trainer. You鈥檙e also doing some kind of structured workout, which is likely more taxing than JRA.
I've thought about the coasting part quite a bit. I'll just say since we moved I've pretty much ridden solo ( and I feel it's paid off as I feel much stronger on a ride not being behind someone sucking a wheel ) and really don't get much coast time. When I feel like a need it ( a little coast) I grab a high gear, slow my cadence and grind a bit.

Road conditions on a trainer are prefect and NEVER and headwinds :D

Registered
Indoors is harder for me because regardless of the virtual cycling software and companies like Sufferfest, Zwift, TACX, and the list goes on......it鈥檚 boring to a degree. I like smelling the smells, feeling the air rush over me, being able to coast as well for quick heart rate recoveries at times and the list goes on.

But I still do indoor.

Registered
Good article.

For me, riding indoors is a chore.
Like Germanrazor^ there are countless reasons for finding outdoor riding more pleasurable.

One main reason i struggle with indoor riding (fixed trainer) is the minimal movement on the bike.
When I鈥檓 outdoor riding, i move with the bike and road as needed. Inside a rider can鈥檛 do it.

Two skinny J's
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Good article.

For me, riding indoors is a chore.
Like Germanrazor^ there are countless reasons for finding outdoor riding more pleasurable.

One main reason i struggle with indoor riding (fixed trainer) is the minimal movement on the bike.
When I鈥檓 outdoor riding, i move with the bike and road as needed. Inside a rider can鈥檛 do it.
Actually it can :D

EDIT, I get what you are saying tho.

Two skinny J's
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reactions: Merlincustom

Registered
Actually it can :D

EDIT, I get what you are saying tho.
Maybe on rollers. I鈥檝e never ridden them, but what I鈥檓 referencing is fixed stand trailers and how they don鈥檛 lean.

A couple winters back, i used the fixed trainer quite a bit.
On my first outdoor ride of the spring, i startled myself with the first turn i came to, when the bike leaned.
Granted, everything came back by the next turn.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts