Two Spoke Forums banner

It really does seem harder!

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Dos_Ruedas 
#1 ·
YOU ARE NOT IMAGINING IT: CYCLING INDOORS IS HARDER THAN OUTSIDE
Training is never meant to be easy, but for those who push themselves hard indoors and outside there is often a common observation: indoor training feels harder and invariably requires greater commitment and higher energy output.

#2 ·
I fully agree with the commitment part but can't speak to the energy part. I push myself to energy limit on every ride so I'm not sure what that difference might be other than shorter rides indoors than out. At least a 2 wheel bike on a trainer counts as a bike, peleton and all single wheel machines are exercycles or unicycles IMO 😁 Link says indoor cycling so I guess it's all inclusive either or and thing.............I might keep bikes indoors but the wife draws the line at me riding them indoors so I'm gonna stay outdoors.

#4 ·
I've thought about the coasting part quite a bit. I'll just say since we moved I've pretty much ridden solo ( and I feel it's paid off as I feel much stronger on a ride not being behind someone sucking a wheel ) and really don't get much coast time. When I feel like a need it ( a little coast) I grab a high gear, slow my cadence and grind a bit.

Road conditions on a trainer are prefect and NEVER and headwinds :D

#5 ·
Indoors is harder for me because regardless of the virtual cycling software and companies like Sufferfest, Zwift, TACX, and the list goes on......it’s boring to a degree. I like smelling the smells, feeling the air rush over me, being able to coast as well for quick heart rate recoveries at times and the list goes on.

But I still do indoor.

#6 ·
Good article.

For me, riding indoors is a chore.
Like Germanrazor^ there are countless reasons for finding outdoor riding more pleasurable.

One main reason i struggle with indoor riding (fixed trainer) is the minimal movement on the bike.
When I’m outdoor riding, i move with the bike and road as needed. Inside a rider can’t do it.

#7 · (Edited)
Good article.

For me, riding indoors is a chore.
Like Germanrazor^ there are countless reasons for finding outdoor riding more pleasurable.

One main reason i struggle with indoor riding (fixed trainer) is the minimal movement on the bike.
When I’m outdoor riding, i move with the bike and road as needed. Inside a rider can’t do it.
Actually it can :D

EDIT, I get what you are saying tho.

#8 ·
Reactions: Merlincustom
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.